Official Review: Lost in a Wild Sea by Ebehi Igho Imonlega

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: 7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian, & 7 Years Organic by Mary Hubbard

Official Review: Lost in a Wild Sea by Ebehi Igho Imonlega

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost in a Wild Sea" by Ebehi Igho Imonlega.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lost in a Wild Sea, written by Ebehi Igho Imonlega, is a book classified as other fiction. It revolves around Lydia Ehigiator, a Nigerian woman who struggles with difficulties in getting pregnant. She also faces marital challenges, as her husband Ekogiawe becomes increasingly distant. After eight years of unsuccessful attempts, Ekogiawe felt overwhelmed and had taken solace in the arms of other women.

At the beginning of the book, we learn that the protagonist is living separated from her husband. Lydia has been raising her younger sister’s daughter since the girl was born. But Salome, the birth mother, suddenly claims that she now wants to raise the little girl, a five-year-old named Radiance. Salome takes the child away, leaving Lydia heartbroken. In the wake of this event, a devasted Lydia decides to fake a pregnancy. This uncanny decision leads to surprising and unexpected plot twists, but no spoilers are allowed!

What I liked the most about the book was that it offered an eye-opening look into the world of infertility and its potential consequences in a woman’s life. My heart went out to Lydia as she succumbed to moments of sorrow and self-pity; she felt like a failure. The author does a great job of portraying the protagonist’s feelings. I also enjoyed the development of Helen, Lydia’s rich and annoying friend. I thought she was a nuanced character, almost an antagonist, who added to the story.

I also appreciated the description of Nigerian culture and traditions, for I like learning about different cultural perspectives. The author gives readers a taste of life in Nigeria, including geographical, political, and social aspects. For instance, there’s an episode in which, after the national elections, insurgents take to the streets, and Lydia has to spend twelve days hiding in a university campus with a few neighbors. They barely make it, managing to eat whatever they can get their hands on. When they finally go back, the city has suffered extensive damages, and a few acquaintances got killed during the process.

In closing, I rate Lost in a Wild Sea 3 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, this version of the book needs another round of editing, which is the only noteworthy negative aspect. There are spelling and grammatical errors that necessitate the deduction of a star. Overall, though, I thought this was a good read. I believe it will appeal to readers who face similar situations, especially childless women or those with difficulties bearing children. If you have an interest in Nigeria, you should also consider taking a look at this book.

Lost in a Wild Sea
View: on Bookshelves

KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by KristyKhem »

Wow! This book sounds really interesting, despite the errors! I love stories that incorporate facets of culture and lifestyle. Thanks for your review!

xuanmaii
Currently Reading: The Great Alone
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by xuanmaii »

Sounds like a great book though there's room for improvements. Nice review!

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Faithmwangi »

This read speaks of a sensitive topic in women's lives. A childless marriage can at times cause conflict and at times separation especially when there is lack of understanding.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”