The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling

Post by MelMariah »

Who's read this?? What'd you think?

I really loved this book. It's considered J.K. Rowling's first adult fiction book and I personally feel like she nailed it although it could still be lingering around in the YA section.. This book is really for the gossipy readers rather than the very serious ones, which is probably why I liked it so much (love my gossip).
It was tough to get going but once I developed emotions towards the characters, which develops strongly, I just chowed through it. The imagery in this book is also really brilliant, I found myself thinking I was watching a movie rather than reading a book. :oops:
Speaking of movies... I actually wouldn't mind if someone produced this book as a movie, with the right actors and directors it could be intense!!
Nobody really told me what this book was about but if I were to recommend it I would say get it if you love gossip, mystery and suspense!

xx
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MandiKenendy »

I didn't enjoy it and didn't finish it.
I read it because I love JK so much and I thought it was really well written as expected. I just found that it wasn't all that interesting. This is probably because it wasn't really my sort of book, I don't really enjoy ordinary books about living ordinary lives and if it wasn't written by JK I never would have bought it.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I got the same feeling. It was well written, and I did trudge through to the end, but only because it was her and I wanted to like it. I didn't enjoy it either.
It was interesting to me to see how people in another country deal with these sorts of issues.
I often feel terrible for people who seem stuck in some sort of rut or other and can't get out, but sometimes there isn't a whole lot you can do for them. When they have kids, that is sometimes sad as well.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I quite liked it but as I think I've said elsewhere on the forums it did reminded me a lot of Joanna Trollope.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

It really is a particular type of reading.. It's not a very versatile book.
dantier27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dantier27.html

Post by dantier27 »

I read this a few months back and I have to say I enjoyed it. I only read it because of the author like most people but I really don't think it deserved some of the bad reviews it got. I found the first hundred or so pages to be quit tedious. I was so confused as to who was who and what was happening but, thinking back, there were so many main characters that it took a while to get into the swing of things. I think that after the start, I really got into it. I thought the plot was really well thought out and I thoroughly enjoyed it until the end. I loved the way something would happen and then you would see it from everyone else's perspective.

If any other author had written this, it would have fared better review-wise but as it was J.K Rowling, I think people had such high expectations, nothing would have met them. Personally though I did enjoy this book, like you, and I'd definitely recommend it to people! :D
andyb0810
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by andyb0810 »

I had never actually read J K Rowling before (saw the movies but never read the books, although my son did and loved them). I was intrigued that she was writing away from the "magic" world and on adult fiction genre. As some of you mentioned here, the first couple of chapters were not very exciting, and it was hard to figure out who was who since there were so many characters weaved in. About half way through the book, I had gotten familiar with most of the characters and quite interested in seeing what was going to happen. It's not often that you read a book that deals with the mundane world and describes feelings and thoughts that people don't want to show. Obviously very well written and a very different sort of "real" fiction. Well worth it and I very much recommend, but again, if you read it, don't think it is going to be a Harry Potter or magic. Much on the contrary, this was no magic. It was the dirty reality of many.
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lmmallia »

I primarily read this book because I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series and I think JK Rowlings is a great writer. I read reviews before reading the book so I knew beforehand that the characters in the book did not have the strongest moral compass and that the story was a little dark. Overall, I enjoyed the book and thought the characters were well formed although it is no definitely not a light, airy read so if you're looking for something fun and positive this isn't the book that you want to read.
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
MarathonCF

Post by MarathonCF »

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was really interesting how her style was so recognisable in a completely different type of book. I thought the main strength was the way the character's were developed and how well rounded they were - just like in Harry Potter.
book4mynerds

Post by book4mynerds »

One quick question- is it even briefly comparable to Harry Potter, just talking about the style and writing, not the genres, stories or anything else.
jlg

Post by jlg »

I read the free sample on my nook and never finished it. I guess it didn't suck me in the way I was hoping it would, although it is very well written.
Evilplaidkitten
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evilplaidkitten.html

Post by Evilplaidkitten »

I enjoyed this book, but I also completely took any association with harry potter out of my mind and thought of her as almost a brand new author.
reluctantreader

Post by reluctantreader »

I didn't expect to like it after Harry Potter but I actually did.
olenamol1987
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olenamol1987.html

Post by olenamol1987 »

I (to my own surprise) enjoyed the book. I recognized J. K. Rowling in the humor. It is gossip .... it worked as 'travel food' for me.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Now the fuss has died down, I've decided to read J K Rowling's first foray into the world of adult fiction. Or is it?
Well, it's certainly adult but is it fiction? It's a harsh look at the British class system, with cutting social analysis and intensely believable characters.

Admittedly I'm only half way through the book but I can see how people would dislike the tediousness - particularly those under 25 - because it's based on many of life's hard knocks, harsh experiences learned as the years advance.
For some I guess it's like reliving failures, bad jobs, treacherous friends, infidelity, botched child-rearing, debts, substance abuse and unfulfilled ambition.

But WOW she does write fluently and beautifully. I could quote many sentences with searing insight into the human psyche. Just don't think it's related to her writings of Harry Potter fame or you'll be seriously upset.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”