Review by Kemunto lucy -- That Guy What Kill Topsy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Kemunto lucy -- That Guy What Kill Topsy

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Guy What Kill Topsy" by Peter Wood Cotterill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Guy What Kill Topsy is a collection of seventeen short stories. It is written by Peter Wood Cotterill.

Every main character in the short stories is facing something. Lester is charged with murder after Topsy dies in a car crash and someone is waiting for him to be released from prison to execute revenge. A man throws a can at Gwenny's husband while driving and it becomes a police case. Megs' dad commits suicide. The unconscious tries to reason on death. Aunt Bett is battling esteem issues. Flossie becomes widowed and her crush has secrets. Paul is battling depression and suicidal thoughts. Don wants to give himself a fresh start after facing a lot of frustrations in Zimbabwe. Andrea and her team are looking for an easy way to get rich quick. Uncle George takes his family through the trouble of listening to his Ukelele. And the cat narrates its trials and tribulations. Among others.

Set in different parts of the world, the stories are interesting and some hilarious. I loved Canned. How one sibling always wants to make a mountain from an ant hill and wants everyone to listen to them and support them. Chancet be a fine thing is also very fine, and funny too. I loved Meg's character. She knows how to survive, though her skills are based on lies which are a bad example to her watching daughter.

The author uses dialect to support the book's premise and to add flavor. In prison, one has to behave and talk like some local crook in order to fit in. On the outside, the people's culture has to be practised and maintained too. The dialogues have reality in them.

There is revenge, and Lester is served with a hot one. He gets ignored by his one time best friend and Topsy's brother gives him a memorable one. Does he really deserve what comes to him?

The novella, I Love Rhinos wasn't as entertaining for me. I found it too long with boring and unnecessary arguments. This being the only down side, I rate this book Four out of four stars. Each story has a unique storyline that is relatable, and if not relatable, it's interesting in its independent way. There is a bit of romance too. I recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and easy read. You can read it in bits, one or two stories at a time, then come back for more.

That Guy What Kill Topsy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”