Matched- Ally Condie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AryanaMender
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aryanamender.html

Re: Official Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Post by AryanaMender »

I really enjoyed Matched so much that I purchased the second and third (because if I start a series I have to finish it). However, I didn't like either of the last two books. The plot was horribly slow and I felt Cassia only rebelled because of a boy. She never would have questioned her life if it hadn't been for seeing Ky. Plus, I'm getting a little tired of the love triangles. Most YA novels have a love triangle, even when there is no point to it but to fill up space in the word count.
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

I read the first two books of this series. Just as the others have said, book 2 didn't really do it for me. I never got to the third because of that. I did thoroughly enjoy the first book of the series though.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
ravenclaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

I only read the first to the series: Matched. I didn't like it very well. I felt the romance was unbelievable and unnecessary. Cassia made up her feelings for the other boy. Also, I felt like the background described was similar to that in the Giver. The more I think about it, the more similar I feel they are.
wanderingmuses
Favorite Author: Too many.
Favorite Book: Way too many.
Currently Reading: The Darkest Minds.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanderingmuses.html

Post by wanderingmuses »

Matched was one of the series I picked up after I got into the dystopian genre but sadly, I couldn't get into it. It was too similar to other dystopian concepts without providing much of a different story, in my opinion. I liked the idea of it but it didn't really hold my attention for long and this discouraged me from picking up the other books.
BadrQamra
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badrqamra.html
Latest Review: "Warm Front" by Mark A. York

Post by BadrQamra »

Frankly I did not love this book; I forced myself to finish it. I guess it has to do with the main character not being strong enough. She seems too afraid, too reluctant. It also took a long time for the story to develop I think. However, I have to stay patience pays off; the story gets interesting right at the end and much more interesting with the second and third books. The story develops well and new characters come into play. I also think the writing style of the author improves with the second and third books. With the first book, the author tends to be very descriptive sometimes unnecessarily, a bit boring. But its gets better.
Latest Review: "Warm Front" by Mark A. York
jamiegilt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamiegilt.html

Post by jamiegilt »

I'm about half way through the first book right now, and like others have said, it's pretty slow. I like it, and will finish the series just because I want to see where it all ends, but it's not a must read series.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I just read a few of the posts before I went to give my opinion, and I think I stand where most everyone else seems to!
I thought Matched was really good, and the concept behind the story was interesting. But then I got to the second book (Crossed?) and was HIGHLY disappointed! I'm amazed I could even finish the story, but I did it, thanks to my determination and refusal to give up in the middle of a book. I just couldn't bring myself to read the third one though (whatever it's called...). Glad to see I am not the only who who felt like this.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I too had not heard very much about this book but kept seeing it everywhere so I decided to pick it up at the library and see what it was all about. I still have yet to crack the cover, and based on your review I may take it back early so that I can read the books that I have been waiting for and will be worth of my attention as opposed to what seems like a mash up of a lot of pre existing series. From what I have learned on my own and from your very well written review, the writing style and even the names of the main characters are very similar to that of Suzanne Collins. The concept of forced love or lack there of is very reminiscent of Lauren Oliver's Delirium series, and the fact that there are different classes of people who cannot be together is a dead ringer and take away from Divergent. Based on this it would feel like I am reading the same series over again, just told in a different way. It doesn't feel like anything new has been added to the genre. Maybe that's the reason no one has really talked about it, because the whole concept is slightly redundant. This could be totally off base as I have not read the book, but from I do know, I feel that I can't be that far off.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Courtney Whittamore wrote:I too had not heard very much about this book but kept seeing it everywhere so I decided to pick it up at the library and see what it was all about. I still have yet to crack the cover, and based on your review I may take it back early so that I can read the books that I have been waiting for and will be worth of my attention as opposed to what seems like a mash up of a lot of pre existing series. From what I have learned on my own and from your very well written review, the writing style and even the names of the main characters are very similar to that of Suzanne Collins. The concept of forced love or lack there of is very reminiscent of Lauren Oliver's Delirium series, and the fact that there are different classes of people who cannot be together is a dead ringer and take away from Divergent. Based on this it would feel like I am reading the same series over again, just told in a different way. It doesn't feel like anything new has been added to the genre. Maybe that's the reason no one has really talked about it, because the whole concept is slightly redundant. This could be totally off base as I have not read the book, but from I do know, I feel that I can't be that far off.
I've never read any of those other books you mentioned, so I wouldn't know if they are similar or not... but even without them being similar, I personally don't think it's worth the read. Give yourself some space before going back to a dystopian world again.
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

I really really enjoyed this book, I've actually been looking for books similar to the series because I liked it so much. :)
Charlotteniblett7
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlotteniblett7 »

I really enjoyed the first book, but I had to really push myself to read the next 2 and kept getting easily distracted and probably ended up skimming most of it. It wasn't nearly as engrossing as other dystopian style books tend to be and the lead characters could have done with a bit more personality.
frandi_rancis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frandi-rancis.html

Post by frandi_rancis »

I may be in the minority by saying this, but I absolutely hated this series. I actually was so miserable while reading the second book that I never even considered picking up the third. That is really saying something for me because although I may not like a book, my curiosity usually compels me to complete the series so I can find out the end of the story. I just couldn't bring myself to do it for the Matched Series.
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

I really enjoyed this whole series.
tashinam18
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl
Currently Reading: The Iron King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashinam18.html
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by tashinam18 »

I loved the whole series! I was so happy when I got to the end. You who didn't like the second book and are afraid to read the last one have nothing to worry about the last one wasn't better than Matched but it sure was close and the ending was killer :D
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

frandi_rancis wrote:I may be in the minority by saying this, but I absolutely hated this series. I actually was so miserable while reading the second book that I never even considered picking up the third. That is really saying something for me because although I may not like a book, my curiosity usually compels me to complete the series so I can find out the end of the story. I just couldn't bring myself to do it for the Matched Series.
I was exactly the same way. Don't worry! You are not alone! I don't know how it ended either and I don't really mind not knowing. I wish I could just pretend that it ended at the first book. That would be fine.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”