Review by bookworm1966 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookworm1966
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm1966.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by bookworm1966 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by bookworm1966 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

The cover of the book basically says it all: "Four men, Fifteen years, One Epic Journey."

The opening line of the authors acknowledgement section says, "Look! It's an otter!" Yes! I giggled.

The narrator tells you he has two friends, Daniel and Alec. They have known each other since grammar school. Now in college studying law he makes a new friend, Sam. He and Sam visit the Food Fair while the other two lay in the grass still drunk from the night before. At first glance Sam is presumed to probably be a rich spoiled brat, blonde hair, Viking features, blue eyes and nothing like himself. While talking this first impression is smashed and the two begin to realize they are a lot alike. He tells Sam about his dream of traveling and eating weird food. Sam agrees and adds in hiking, biking and kayaking. Two peas in a pod now with an idea.

Three years later Sam calls him and suggests they make their first journey. The author immediately says he can't. Sam keeps talking and that no turns to yes. With little planning, Sam and the author begin their first two week Man Mission in New Zealand.

Man Mission takes on a life of its own. It becomes a yearly trip for only the four male friends. Each year they visit a different location and the last added member plans the trip. This takes place over a fifteen year period.

You begin to also travel through the four friends lives. You meet their mates and parents. You travel with them through dating, marriage, pregnancy, kids, death, affairs, divorce, separation, reconciliation and love. You walk with them through their every fear, their failings, their breakdowns, realizations and successes. For every tear there is happiness. Mistakes, feeling alone, dissatisfaction can lead you to a new life and intimately living within each present moment.

What is a man? This book details the path of boys growing up and becoming men. If Women are from Venus, then Men are from Man Mission. As a wife and mother I have created a support system of women. The author has made me realize that men need that support system of men. There are things that only other men can nourish, feel and work through with other men. As hard as it is to be a woman, it's just as hard being a man. Expectations and reality are not always the same.

I do highly recommend this book for everyone to read. I give it 4 stars out of 4 stars. There is no lull. This book takes you through every emotion beautifully. The descriptions of the scenery is magnificent. I encourage you to enjoy the adventure while learning to love and live in every moment. One of my physicians used to tell me everyday, " Do you know why men die? Because we want to!" Well guess what? I get it now. I really do get it now.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

You travel with them through dating, marriage, pregnancy, kids, death, affairs, divorce, separation, reconciliation and love. You walk with them through their every fear, their failings, their breakdowns, realizations and successes. For every tear there is happiness. Mistakes, feeling alone, dissatisfaction can lead you to a new life and intimately living within each present moment.
You captured everything with this. I hope that our struggles can lead us to awareness too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”