Review by V_Pitt -- Ambition by Val Grian

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
V_Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-pitt.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by V_Pitt -- Ambition by Val Grian

Post by V_Pitt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ambition" by Val Grian.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While reading Ambition by Val Grain I was at first intrigued, I am a fan of fiction. Having finished the book I realized early on there was entirely too much going on. While trying to keep the reader on their feet the author created a world that became a little confusing. Trying to keep the details of each double cross straight and follow what was going on where got tiring. While decently written and edited My main complaint stems from that.

The main Characters George and Alan have a strong friendship. I like how it is clearly shown time and time again. They prove they care for each other and save each other's lives a few times over. It is good to have someone who will go out of their way to have your back. From investment schemes to life or death situations. They go through some money troubles with someone stealing millions from them due to George pulling Alan into an investment opportunity. Alan gets caught up in a mess with the cartel because someone he knows stole money from them, some of his employees double-cross him and start the whole mess.

Some of the characters seemed to be more of a filler. The scenes with George's wife Madeleine
did not seem to add much to the story in my opinion. I did not like her character. She seemed simple and over the top. Crashing a Range Rover into a Lamborghini while it is still in your garage is more than a little crazy considering it was a simple misunderstanding that could have been avoided if she would stop only thinking about herself and ask her husband why he was missing both his shirt and shoes.

I really enjoyed how descriptive the author was when describing the scenery of the different locations the characters visited. The descriptive nature of the location and the way it was portrayed by the author allowed me to close my eyes and visualize being there myself. The reason I read is to escape from everyday life and being able to see the authors' world in my mind is always a bonus.

I believe this book would be best enjoyed by the casual reader who would enjoy an action-packed escape from everyday life. There is the use of profanity in the book. Not many uses of profanity but it is there. If you do not like profanity this book may not be for you. If you don't mind reading just a handful or profane words and want something action-packed I would recommend this book to you. I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason I took away a point is that I felt there was too much going on in such a short book.

Ambition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”