Official Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Not Without Question by D.J. Brown

Official Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grizzly Lake" by Robert Woods.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After obtaining unsatisfactory results in his end of sixth-grade examinations, Bobby, who has just turned 12, is forced by his parents to spend his summer vacation working in the family's furniture shop. However, this was not what Bobby wanted to do. During one weekend, he meets with his best friend, Mike, who tells him about a two-week trip to Mount St. Helens located in Washington state, USA. They began concocting a plan that would enable Bobby to go to the tour despite his parent's stand to keep him grounded in the carpenter shop the whole of the summer vacation. How will Bobby's parents react when they realize their son made a decision of going to a trip without informing them?

Grizzly Lake is a young adult (YA) adventure novel written by Robert Woods. The author takes us through Bobby's trip, the adventures he had, and how his parents reacted after his return from the trip. I greatly enjoyed my tour of this YA's adventure novel.

I also liked how well the author wrote and executed this work. This story is given a first-person narrative approach in the perspective of Bobby. The author aptly and exquisitely captured and revealed the narrator's inner emotions and thoughts, and they are, in every way, relatable to that of children of the same age as Bobby. More often than not, I found myself reminiscing about my own good times when I was Bobby's age. Also, the author expertly organized the plot with turns and twists that created pleasant surprises. For instance, the reaction of Bobby's parents towards his going to Mount St. Helens without their permission was quite a surprise. What also stood out, in terms of execution, was the author's incorporation of humor. On most occasions, I couldn't help chuckling and bursting into laughter.

Furthermore, I liked the lessons the author incorporated in this work. Teenagers will learn how to peacefully deal with bullies and also the loss of loved ones, among other social skills required by teenagers to curb the challenges they usually face in their day-to-day life. All there have been intertwined in such an interesting way that I believe teenagers will not only enjoy but also learn a lot from them.

My favorite aspect of this novel was the way the author wove adventure in this novel. The author vividly described the beautiful scenery and tourist attraction sites in Portland. I was fascinated by the breathtaking descriptions of Mount St. Helens and the surrounding tourist destinations such as Spirit Lake and Grizzly Lake, among others. The activities that Bobby and the campmates engaged in and his interactions with the legendary Harry R. Truman, a resident of the U.S. state of Washington who lived near Mount St. Helens, were also enthralling. Moreover, the author gave enough background information and the history of tourist destinations. The feeling and the experiences of Bobby and the crew that went on the trip were also captured well and in interesting ways. For that reason, teenagers who like water and mountain activities and who may want to visit Mount St. Helens in the future, will greatly enjoy this novel.

All in all, I didn't find anything to dislike about this book. I was impressed by the editing and believe it was professionally done. The errors I found were just a few minor ones, all of which were not distracting. I'm, therefore, glad to award Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods 4 out of 4 stars. I've given it such a perfect rating due to the wonderful execution and the fact that it is interesting and informative.

For all teenagers who like well-written, enjoyable, and informative adventure stories, I highly recommend this. There was no erotic content, and I only found a few minor cuss words such as “darn.” Also, in an attempt to lessen the impact of non-borderline profanity, the author indicated them using a double en dashes sign (––) and were, therefore, left for the readers to fill in. This makes it appropriate for the target audience. On the other hand, I can't find anyone to caution against picking this since those who are not into YA stories can still enjoy the adventure part.

Grizzly Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Faithmwangi »

Its been a while since I read a young adult read. This plot sounds interesting though. It also has me thinking of the wild, adventurous ideas I had when I was twelve. This is clearly a well written review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

It sounds like the author did a good job of walking into Bobby's shoes and writing about his feelings and perspectives. Thank you for a beautifully written review :)
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

This review really made me curious about his parents reaction on his carefree vacation. Very nice review!

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

This sounds like a good wholesome novel for teens to enjoy.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”