Review by Nkoo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Applied Love by Jabu Mahlangu

Review by Nkoo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nkoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey by Eytan Uliel is an intriguing and passionate coming-of-age story of four Australian men. The main character and his friend; Sam are the pioneers of this men-only adventure called man mission. These adventures became a form of escape for them to get away from normal life and unwind. The book is divided into three major parts and captured in fifteen suspenseful chapters, each one chronicles events at each location.

What the protagonist merely conceived on campus and hinted to his friend, Sam during a food fair took shape and became a reality years later. When Sam called the main character on the phone and reminded him of their earlier proposed trip, man mission was born. New Zealand became the pilot location. Daniel and Alec were later inducted into the group. Annually, over fifteen years, the men embarked on trips to various exotic locations around the world. From river kayaking in Australia to safaris in South Africa. Japan, Spain, and Iceland were some of the other exotic locations traversed by these buddies.

I found the constant switching of narratives from their escapades at these locations to the events in their individual and personal lives interesting and skillful by the author. The switching between narratives provided the necessary suspense for me. The inclusion of maps and locations at the beginning of each chapter made the storyline unique. Philosophical and biblical quotations heralded each chapter and provided an insight into what was to be expected by the readers. The story is recounted from the first-person standpoint of the narrator.

The characters are well-developed and relatable; I was at home with all of them. The writing style is simple. The layout is well-coordinated. The diction is top-notch and indicates that the author is erudite. Everyone can read and understand this book. The tone is conversational, friendly, and casual. The book is a page-turner. Readers would learn a lot of new words and their usages just like I did. The book provides a revelation into the workings of the male mind on issues such as marriage, work, family, relationships, fatherhood, courage, and many more.

One of the things I found profound about this book is the author’s capacity to vividly capture events, scenes, and locations. His descriptions left absolutely nothing to the imagination. Readers would get a feel of the locations and events by his expert storytelling skills. I particularly liked the humorous nature of this book. For the most part, I had to stop mid-way while I read and had a good laugh before I proceeded. I also felt their pain at other times. I liked the fact that a lot of life lessons were taught through the pages of this fiction book. The storyline appeared true; I found it incredible that this book is not the author's autobiography.

There was nothing I disliked about this book; I loved everything about it. Surprisingly, I found no errors in it; it appeared to be professionally edited. For the foregoing reasons, without a shadow of a doubt, I hereby award Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey, four out of four stars. I didn't award it a lower rating because it has the potential of making a great movie. It is recommended for everyone who loves a good and captivating get-away read. Intended tourists and travelers to those locations will also find it useful. Readers who are offended by profanity are hereby forewarned.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 333
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Looking for Normal by Karen Harmon

Post by kdstrack »

I read this book when it was BOTM. I like the way you highlight how all this started as an idea that progressed to actions and a book. A little seed grew into a big tree. I like you idea of making it into a movie. Great review!

unamilagra
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Sundown: Engineering Gives the Devil a Sunburn by Carl H Mitchell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I also loved this book and the way the author's ability to transport the reader to all the places the narrator visited. Great review!

Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

kdstrack wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:08
I read this book when it was BOTM. I like the way you highlight how all this started as an idea that progressed to actions and a book. A little seed grew into a big tree. I like you idea of making it into a movie. Great review!
Thank you for your kind words and for leaving a comment.

Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

unamilagra wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 18:46
I also loved this book and the way the author's ability to transport the reader to all the places the narrator visited. Great review!
The author surely is gifted with words. Thanks for leaving a comment.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Finderworld by Doreen Kellett

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you liked this one so well. I do like living vicariously through other's travels. For that reason alone, I should probably pick this up. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Long Walk on a Dry Road by Jon Kaufman

Post by mary-annef »

Great review. I was also surprised to discover it wasn't autobiographical. And I agree that it would make a good movie.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: The Scent of Distant Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Wrath of Isis by Michael A Zuniga
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

Biblical? I've read several reviews of this book, and that's the first I've heard of that. Good catch! I'm not so sure I'd be willing to undergo what these guys did in the name of bonding. At least they got to see the world! Thanks for recommending it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”