Official Review: Sterling and The Book of Miracles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: The Second born by Arnold Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Sterling and The Book of Miracles

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sterling and The Book of Miracles" by Pam Dabon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pam Dabon takes her young reading audience on an adventure in Sterling and the Book of Miracles. The author's main character is a bookworm who would rather not spend a single second socializing with classmates. She likes her solitude and finds serenity within the pages of all types of reading material. Her parents, both university professors, have decided to spend the summer in London taking part in lectures that pertain to their careers. Sterling will be staying with Aunt Millie, who she hasn't seen since infancy.

Her aunt resides in Angel Hollow, and immediately upon arrival, Sterling is made aware that heavenly beings inhabit the property. It doesn't take long before two divine messengers, Luna and Mimsie, manifest with an assignment to retrieve a valuable resource that has gone missing. They make it clear that Sterling will play a vital role in its recovery.

I liked how this author portrayed the development of Sterling's personality from an introverted individual to a young woman battling dark forces. Through her experience, she realizes how the power of prayer can help get a challenging job accomplished. When circumstances appear dire, and evil is all around, she calls upon supernatural help and receives it.

Sterling is moving on to high school, but this book is geared for readers much younger. Those who can independently handle material with eight short chapters and a simple plot, such as an older elementary-aged student, would find this most appealing. Adults could share this story out loud for those who are not quite at the reading level this requires. It contains a beautiful message of strength that would benefit any age group. Sterling doesn't blindly follow her peers who are engaging in behavior that she finds immature. Holding on to her individuality, she sidesteps bullying with great poise and makes an excellent teen role model for others to emulate.

Besides its positive message, the writing is superb. I only located two slight errors, and the vivid, descriptive style this writer possesses paints mental images that make the material come to life. Also, there are scripture verses scattered throughout the text that enhance the lessons of the plot.

With that in mind, Christians may appreciate this tale the most. The Biblical references are woven into the story subtly, so it is not forceful or preachy. Individuals who do not prefer any religious components in their books might want to skip this one. There are a few scenes of frightening demons and slight violence as the forces of light and dark war with one another. Neither of these is severe, but I know that some young ones are more sensitive than others, so it is worth mentioning.

For all of its marvelous attributes with nothing I disliked, this publication gets 4 out of 4 stars from me.

Sterling and The Book of Miracles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...

Sweet-Lucky-bella12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sweet-Lucky-bella12 »

A very young age Sterling already fight for the good Angel.She become a warrior for the good.Fighting for different kind of demon was the adventure for her .
Love this kind of book .

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Divided We Stand
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races by JDeVereS
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Those are angels, right? I know you said divine messengers but they are angels, yes? I wonder what they lost and what makes Sterling special enough to help. It seems like a wonderful book for young readers.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A nice story with a character who's characterization is well developed. It sounds like an amazing read. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Nisha Ward wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 08:22
Those are angels, right? I know you said divine messengers but they are angels, yes? I wonder what they lost and what makes Sterling special enough to help. It seems like a wonderful book for young readers.
Angels are often referred to as God’s messengers, so yes. When I write, I try not to repeat the same words over and over as this can get taxing to read. It was a wonderful book that is Biblically based. Thanks for stopping in to read my review! :)

cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Julius_ wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 11:45
A nice story with a character who's characterization is well developed. It sounds like an amazing read. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading my review! I enjoyed this one as the main character is a great role model! 😊

unamilagra
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Golden Cord of Arram by Walt Runkis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like the type of adventure book my daughter would love. Great review!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

I find it interesting to read about a bookworm character who avoids socializing with classmates and likes her solitude finding serenity within the pages of all types of reading material.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”