Review by karendi jururi -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by karendi jururi -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by karendi jururi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emma Isaacs, the renowned author, was kind enough to review this book. She noted that this book would be a perfect fit for women trying to understand the mysterious workings of the male mind. Well, that was enough to convince me to read the first of Eytan Uliel's works that I was lucky to come across. Man mission did not disappoint. This was the first book I finished reviewing this year. It set the bar high especially on the quality of literature I expect to read this year.

Man mission is self-titled. It tells the story of four friends making the annual commitment to go on crazy adventures in some of the most rural corners of earth. The protagonist, whose name was not mentioned in the book, met Sam, his best friend in law school. Together, they vow to go on adventures to foreign corners of the earth to push their physical limits in strenuous activities. With the addition of two friends, they become the ultimate crew. Follow them as they hike through the hilly terrain or rural New Zealand or cycle through the downhill slope at high speed in Japan. Also, read about them maneuvering through milestones of life, like when the protagonist knows for sure he has met the one, or when he experiences the ultimate thrill of giving life to a new human being.

What was most remarkable to me, was the writer's ability to showcase the theme of manhood in such a raw and lifelike manner. Such an incredible storyteller, the author is! Together with his friends in the middle of nowhere, they discuss the most intimate details that form part of the journey of a man. I love the lightness in the conversation, the sarcastic sense of humor and the genius in the similes used. Above all, I enjoyed the richness of the characters' souls and the ultimate evolution of their well-lived life. In particular, I think David was such a raw and inspired character. I enjoyed his love for life and adventure, his playboy spirit but most importantly, his humble nature and ability to seek help when his life was in a bit of a fix.

The editing was impeccable. The editors deserve credits for their immense skill in their choice of words. The structuring of the chapters and the lovely divide of the flashback and real-time scenes was simply genius. I did not find it confusing or disruptive of the flow of the story. Honestly, there is not a single thing I would change about the book. I really enjoyed reading it. On top of that, it is so fun!

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. However, Sam is predisposed to using a fair share of curse words. If you prefer books that do not contain profanities, this book will be less suited for you. However, if you like books detailing adventures spiced up with a delightful sense of humor, this book is perfect for you. A quote from the book that I think perfectly summarizes the book is, 'Ego mixed with adrenaline will drive men to do crazy things. '

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Leadership and Power in International Development: by Randal Joy Thompson

Post by JKO »

Congratulations on the review of your first book this year. This sounds like an interesting reading and I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the concise review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”