Review by TinkerBe11 -- Was I To Blame? by B.W.Knight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TinkerBe11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinkerbe11.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by TinkerBe11 -- Was I To Blame? by B.W.Knight

Post by TinkerBe11 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Was I To Blame?" by B.W.Knight.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Was I to Blame? by B. W. Knight is a story about a married couple, Angie and George and their struggle to maintain their relationship and face up to all the problems that life is throwing at them. George is an alcoholic and has a lot of past family issues and Angie feels unloved and neglected and believes that George puts alcohol before her and the children. The book links in a few of Angie’s friends and their subsequent problems and ultimately builds up to a final showdown between the two main characters to decide the outcome of their marriage.

I have decided to give the book 2 out of 4 stars because I was able to finish the book and had a certain intrigue as to how it would end so I guess I would say that the story was bearable. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any sympathy or love towards any of the characters and throughout most of the book I felt pretty irritated by them to be honest. This was one of the aspects that I disliked most about the book, along with the fact that it was really poorly edited. I picked up so many errors while reading the book and found the formatting of the book really terrible. It was difficult to tell whom was speaking to whom and when one paragraph should have ended and another began. I believe that a reader would gain some more enjoyment when reading the book if it had been better edited.

I do like the fact that the writer has tried to tackle the topic of alcoholism and the devastating effect it can have on the individual and the family and I think that this could have been explored it greater depth to help the reader gain some more feelings towards the two main characters. I would recommend the book, with better editing to anyone who likes an easy read. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody who wishes to learn more about dealing with somebody suffering from the disease of alcoholism.

I found whilst reading that at times I didn’t really understand the whole point of the book because I found that the majority of the narrative was just based on arguments between people without any real resolution. The characters, at times seemed to be too harsh to one another and unable to accept responsibility for the roles they have played which have resulted in their current situations. In my opinion, this also made it hard for me to muster up any feeling or compassion towards any of the characters.

Overall the book was readable but unfortunately it hasn’t made me wish to read anything else by the same author.

Was I To Blame?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”