Review by OKevin -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OKevin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okevin.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by OKevin -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by OKevin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel takes readers to the adventurous life of 4 best friends as they defy the conventional definition of manhood. Man Mission paints a picture of a healthier, more relational, and realistic approach to manhood.

The idea for Man Mission was formed while in college but waits for several years before its implementation. The group of 4 men established an annual ritual that they live up to for 15 years. Every year, they travel all around the world hiking, biking, or kayaking. Despite the narrator's painful experience in New Zealand, they do not lose an ounce of motivation to continue with the annual escapade. Their experiences are eerie and breathtaking; helping learn what it means to be a man. Needless to say, the experiences help bring balance to the four men's personal life.

The book is captivating and I had to remind myself that I was not the fifth member of Man Mission. It is amazing how the author interjects the thrilling adventure of Man Mission to give readers a glimpse of each member's professional and family life. Readers get to learn about the challenges of career, the subject of divorce, and fear of losing the normal life.

The dialogue and relationship among the 4 men resonate with what men encounter going about their lives. Men are humans and are susceptible to vulnerability. A support system is hence essential to help navigate life challenges. Man Mission shows that it is okay to avoid the conventional manhood approach and chart your own life path.

Each trip takes readers to remarkable moments while emphasizing a perspective of life. The moments are great and fun, while some are sad like when one of the members lost his father. Additionally, the book is filled with humor especially with the comical ‘Man Mission Rules’. The motivational quotes all through the book are spot on and go a long way to put emphasis on the underlying thesis of the book; a critique of the established rules of life.

I enjoyed every bit of Man Mission, and for the reason I rate it 4 out of 4. Written in the style of a memoir, the narrator leaves readers reflecting on life. The book provides a revelation on culture, marriage, and career. The erotic scenes do not make it appropriate for children. I recommend the book to all readers who love travel books with twists of real life.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”