Official Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sasquatch Did It!" by Patricia Komar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Faith and her friends—Dalton, Finn, Oliver, and Callie—make up the Hollow Hills Explorers Club (HHE), a group of teenagers investigating strange happenings in their town. For the last few Wednesdays, Faith has noticed her neighbor putting trash or recycling in the bins for the haunted Victorian house next door and being frightened off by a booming voice telling him to get away from those bins. The HHE knows something fishy is going on, and they’re ready to get to the bottom of it.

When the group starts noticing huge footprints and strange lights, they know they need help. The front door of their school is a portal to the past that only Faith can access. The friends go back in time to get answers but end up with more mysteries and secrets. The past is connected to the haunted house, and Faith isn’t the only one who can travel through time. Who or what is haunting the old Victorian, and what is Faith’s connection to it all?

Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar is a fun mystery story for younger readers that I found quite enjoyable. It’s third in a series, and I usually don’t read books out of order. This looked like too much fun to pass up, and I’m glad I read it. The story and kids fondly reminded me of Scooby-Doo. There were even a couple of pups; though, neither talked.

The mystery was cute, if a bit predictable. Some information was presented fairly early in the story. When events matching that information started happening, none of Faith’s group figured it out until someone told them later. Most of the mysteries weren’t solved until the end, specifically Callie’s strange friend in the past. I enjoyed watching the kids puzzle out what was happening.

There was a disconnect between the ages of the characters and the reading level of the book. Faith and her friends were around fifteen, which felt too old for the story. I consistently thought of them as twelve or thirteen and was jolted whenever they mentioned being in high school. This happened just enough to be distracting but not so much that it completely drew me out of the story.

Faith is the main character, and she feels like a real person. She thought about her fears and desires a lot, and I really got a sense for her love of the HHE. There’s a budding romance between her and Dalton, which was sweet and adorable. There were some points where Faith would think back over events that had just happened in the story. This slowed down my reading, but I got back into the story when these passages were over.

I rate Sasquatch Did It! 3 out of 4 stars. There were some grammatical errors sprinkled throughout. The errors, the age discrepancy, and a bit of repetitive writing keep me from giving this 4 stars, but I enjoyed it too much to give it 2. Again, fans of Scooby-Doo might love this. Children between nine and fourteen would be the ideal audience for this book. For me, I’ll take a chance to read the first two installments in the series. I’m curious to see how Faith and the HHE got to where they are.

Sasquatch Did It!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: The Apathetical Man by Gregory Martin McLeod

Post by ivana7 »

I love Scooby-Doo, and that reference alone is enough to make me decide to read this book! The only downside is that the mystery is supposedly predictable ...
Thank you for great review!

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Faith's thinking back over events that happened in the story will certainly pull on the reading pace of someone like me. I like her already anyway. Thanks for reviewing!

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

I might be too old for children's book but I like reading relaxing and light books like these. You wrote a great review!

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

A Scooby doo kind of mystery? I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review.

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by praise+anyi »

I love the fact that the cover of the book is colorful. The characters and it's development is also another thing I like. Sounds like a fun book.

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

Exactly what came to my mind as I read the review, Scooby Doo! With a lot of monsters and mysteries. Sounds like a good read for young people. Beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”