Review by Anoma -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anoma
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoma.html
Latest Review: Gathered by Kurt Hansen

Review by Anoma -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Anoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel, is a novel of four men, fifteen years, one epic journey. The journey starts from the moment the narrator meets with Sam in the Australian sunshine while he's seeking for someone to accompany him to the food fair. Just like that a friendship was born where they exchanged their crazy idea of going on an annual location- with the sole focus of the trip including doing something outdoorsy as well. The other two friends of narrator are Daniel and Alec.

An idea, in college by two guys, turns into reality in their 20s. A group of four young men establish a tradition. Every year they take a week long adventure trip together. They go hiking, biking, climbing or kayaking all around the world. Thus, the yearly Man Mission becomes more than an annual getaway and help them to find themselves, while they spend the rest of the year building up a life for them and families.

The first few Man Mission are disorganized. In the course of their travels, the first one were in New Zealand, where the narrator gives a name to their adventure. Thus, Man Mission formed. There's they hitch a ride with drag dealers, down kava shots on fijian beaches, come face to face with a roaring lion in South Africa, luxuriate in a resort intended only for Vietnamese Communist official, trek to Machu Pichu and go in Iceland. The friends add new rules, which get form as the Man Mission charter. They call it their Man Mission, an annual ritual that they keep for fifteen years.

The novel is divided by 3 parts. Over the years, they get married, start families, establish careers and do all the stuff a decent men are supposed to do. But when the challenges of real life come into conflict, they try to distracts them. The annual missions allow them to deepen their relationships with each other, as well as reflect on and explore the experiences of their individual lives. It's a source of stability and a place to find redemption.

I have to say, this is really a great novel with a great humour, which i enjoyed while reading. I would give 4 out of 4 stars to this book. However, the Author has used some profanity words. The book took me in gradually. I was laughing with them and crying together, as if i am also one of them. My favourite two rules of their charter are 3. Go Beyond Your Limits, 4. Travel under Your Own Power. Anyone can read this book. Their is no gender barrier. Though i would like to say, mature readers should read this book as their has some profanity. I must admit, the Road Warrior, Eytan Uliel is a great writer.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”