Official Review: Vanquished We Ride by J.L. Marquee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Official Review: Vanquished We Ride by J.L. Marquee

Post by Wyland »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vanquished We Ride" by J.L. Marquee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like a thief in the night, Johnny leaves the land of his father for the land of sunshine. Armed with nothing but a poet’s inspiration, he conceives that he needs to break the “old country ways” where parents show little interest in their kids. As well, in a country where acquaintances are superficial and many, Johnny finds a true friend in his elder sister, Michelle; not only does she agree to accompany him blindly to the new land—to help him settle—but also acts as a go-between with their parents.

Heading out westwards from Michigan, it’ll take much, even so, for John to discover the contentment in living, something he so desperately hopes for. As one who is coming of age, he learns that his sources of revelation can be as diverse and confounding as they come. In one moment, he’s inspired by the long road trip to Denver, Colorado, as he gets drawn to the beauty of the mountains; yet in another, by an illicit but seductive love affair with a more mature woman (Debbie), which relationship barely lasts till dawn. Will John manage to create a life that is distinct from the one of indifference he’s known under his parents?

In his novel Vanquished We Ride, J. L. Marquee takes on the persona of John to narrate to us the challenges and opportunities of being young in America. While at it, he also brings out the physical and socio-economic differences that subsist across various states of America, which lead to the migration of people from one state to the other. As an example, John finds it difficult to make ends meet, especially with his girlfriend, Kat, keeping him on his toes. What’s more, because of his educational background, his career options are limited, and oftentimes, put him in a moral quandary.

Regardless, I liked the fact that the novel’s plot allowed John to further his education, despite the challenges brought up by his parents. Equally commendable was the fact that other unusual career options—such as serving in the military, as was the case with John’s friend, Reggie—were cast in a positive light. Additionally, the novel highlights contemporary problems faced by the youth, including alcoholism, drug addiction, theft, unwanted pregnancy, and prostitution.

Written in an animated tone, the novel kept me entertained as I followed the intertwined lives of a bunch of friends, consisting of five boys and three girls, in the early ‘80s. The novel presented a world of merriment centered on club and house parties. Eventually, as is often the case, the novelty of the indulgence wore off. It was, then, interesting to read about how the different characters, more so John, coped with the rebound effect brought about by continuous use of drugs and alcohol.

As I finish, this YA fiction novel equips its readers with vital information to help them steer into adulthood in relative safety. On the flip side, I identified several editing errors that are enough to affect the rating of the book. These consist of fragmented sentences, tense errors, and incorrect words applied in sentences. All in all, I enjoyed reading the story, and I feel it’ll be equally suited to both high school-age students and adults.

Lastly, I was impressed by the wholesome and poetic language used by the author: poetic lovers should check it out. My rating of the book is 3 out of 4 stars.

Vanquished We Ride
View: on Bookshelves
Julius_
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A very nice book about the life of an American, and the challenges faced. Your review was awesome. Thanks for the it.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Cotwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

this YA fiction novel equips its readers with vital information to help them steer into adulthood in relative safety.
I love this. Its important our young people are equipped as much as possible. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Stephanie Elizabeth
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Ghost of Mackey House by R.A. Johnson

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love the sound of this book! Coming-of-age novels, done well, are one of my favorites genres. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Laughing Rabbits by Alex Raffi

Post by Tomah »

This sounds like a fascinating coming-of-age story that should please fans of YA fiction. It's probably not my cup of tea, but still, thanks for the review!
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

How interesting that the author chose to set the story in the 80's. I wonder if a teenager today would relate to that era. Thanks for an excellent and informative review. :D
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I enjoy a well-written coming-of-age tale. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Julius_ wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 05:15 A very nice book about the life of an American, and the challenges faced. Your review was awesome. Thanks for the it.
Thanks for your kind comments!
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Sounds like a fun read for those who are into character-driven stories (myself included). Thanks for your review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Hiding in Plain Sight: by Thomas LeBrun

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I am having trouble to find YA books that I enjoy as an adult. I am drawn to the 80's setting of it. Thank for this great review.
I love the title of this book very much. It sounds like some badass anthem.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rocky Truths by Rho Brooks

Post by kandscreeley »

In spite of the editing errors, this sounds interesting. Like John, I think we're all looking for some contentment in life. He seems like a relatable character. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Cotwani wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 10:27
this YA fiction novel equips its readers with vital information to help them steer into adulthood in relative safety.
I love this. Its important our young people are equipped as much as possible. Great review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 11:22 I love the sound of this book! Coming-of-age novels, done well, are one of my favorites genres. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I like that the book contains information that will aid its targeted readers to steer into adulthood easily. Nice coming-of-age story. Teenagers surely need to take advantage of the knowledge this book contains. Thanks.
Karks01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karks01 »

I am very much impressed by the wholesome and poetic language used by the author. Kudos

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”