Official Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens

Post by Ever_Reading »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Open Door" by Gary Luitjens.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a Christian who wishes to live more like Christ? Do you also want to know what God has in store for you as you work towards salvation? If you answered yes to these questions, then Gary Dean Luitjens has written the ideal book for you. The Open Door is a Christian non-fiction book specifically written for anyone who is searching for God and wants to know how to serve Him well and wholeheartedly.

I appreciated the author's honesty when he reflected on his personal struggles with faith and how these pushed him to work on his relationship with God. For example, he wrote candidly about the challenges he faced and continues to face as a father and as a husband. Luitjens also substantiated parts of his testimony with relevant Biblical scriptures. The inclusion of Bible verses made it easy for me to see how the Word can work in a person's life.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few things I also disliked about The Open Door. I doubt the book was professionally edited because I came across a number of errors when I was only a few pages in. The rate of errors did not decrease as I read on. I noticed multiple instances of missing words and other grammatical errors.

Structurally, the book could also do with some improvements. More than once, I found myself wondering what lesson I was supposed to learn from what I was reading. The author was long-winded in his delivery, which made the book a tad tiring to get through. For example, the author would quote a story from the Bible and then retell it in his own words. Quoting the relevant verse(s) and then simply expanding on the lessons to be learned would have sufficed.

While his advice was theoretically sound, Luitjens didn't always explain how one can put it into practice. For instance, he wrote a lot about how misleading the doctrines taught in many of today's churches can be. However, he didn't provide practical steps a believer should take to protect him/herself from these false teachings. Must I stop going to church? Do I approach the preacher about my concerns? These are the types of questions I often found myself asking.

As a result, I rate The Open Door 2 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because the book needs another round of editing. The other star I took away because I found parts of the book confusing and unnecessarily tedious. Despite these issues, I'd still recommend the book to Christians who are interested in improving their walk with Christ. The book does not contain any profanity or writing of a sexual nature, making it appropriate for a wide range of Christian readers.

The Open Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

Im not really a religious person but I can appreciate the way the bible tries to teach people to live a moral life and the way some churches twist these teachings to suit their own agendas.

cristinaro
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Noonday Flower by Carla C. Ohse

Post by cristinaro »

I appreciate the auhor's honesty in detailing on his own personal struggles with faith, but I'm worried about the editing errors and the confusing parts. I'm sure Christians who are in search of answers concerning the Bible teachings will find the book interesting. Thanks for a wonderful review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Wyland »

I would wish the author would improve on the structure of the book and errors and I am sure it will be a spiritually sound book to read. Thanks for the helpful review.

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading »

Amy747 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 02:55
Im not really a religious person but I can appreciate the way the bible tries to teach people to live a moral life and the way some churches twist these teachings to suit their own agendas.
Well, I think most people wish to know the best way to live their lives, regardless of their beliefs or religion. I appreciate you dropping by and commenting. :D

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading »

cristinaro wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 03:07
I appreciate the auhor's honesty in detailing on his own personal struggles with faith, but I'm worried about the editing errors and the confusing parts. I'm sure Christians who are in search of answers concerning the Bible teachings will find the book interesting. Thanks for a wonderful review!
The editing errors and confusing parts did, unfortunately, take away from the author's powerful message. Thanks for dropping by and leaving such a sweet comment!

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading »

Wyland wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 06:19
I would wish the author would improve on the structure of the book and errors and I am sure it will be a spiritually sound book to read. Thanks for the helpful review.
That is my wish as well. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!

Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nkoo »

The author might have been too eager to put forth his views that he missed the opportunity to take into consideration its practicability. Overall, it sounds like a useful resource provided he views your criticism constructively. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”