Review by Julmates -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julmates
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julmates.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Julmates -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Julmates »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I read Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey by Eytan Uliel. I rated this book four out of four stars. I gave it four stars because it was one of the most engaging books that I've read in the last year. I was disappointed when the book was over because I wanted to read more.

The story followed the lives of four men from college to middle age. It was told from one man's point of view, and the rest of the men's lives weaved in and out of his life. They went through many of the traditional life events that people go through as they age from their twenties into their late thirties and early forties. The situations that the characters got into left me wanting to read more. I enjoyed reading about the main character's home life and mission life. While it still would have been a good book if it only focused on his missions, it was easier to understand the main character's choices when you know how he felt at home, at work, and on the missions.

The book was extremely well written and well-edited. What I liked most was the way Eytan's main character used imagery to reflect his situation. One perfect example of this was "In that moment, I had become a piece of driftwood--a chunk of human flotsam, held afloat in the raging waters by a small piece of plastic, and the laughter of friends." There were many examples of well-placed imagery throughout the book.

What I disliked most about the book were some of the transitions were a little confusing. At the beginning of the book, I found myself reading about one of the missions, and then in the next paragraph, I was reading about his home life. As the book progresses, these transitions got smoother and even became enjoyable. The Vital Statistic summaries at the end of each mission were a nice transition, and I liked how Eytan's character listed both emotional and physical injuries sustained during the missions.

While I'm a woman, I found myself relating to this man's thoughts quite often. I was surprised at how similar men's and women's thoughts can be when society says we are so different. There are many times I felt sad for the main character; and, just as many times, I was envious of him. He had a wonderful network of friends to get him through almost any situation. It is rare to have a group of friends last through so many life-changing events.

I highly recommend this book for men and women who are at least in their thirties. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”