Official Review: Three Degrees And Gone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Three Degrees And Gone

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Three Degrees And Gone" by J. Stewart Willis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The future is here. The year is 2086 and many of the things we traditionally associate with science-fiction are present all across the world. Virtually all citizens have implanted devices, self-driving (and flying) cars are making their way into society, personal computers are rolled up and brought everywhere, and there are even wand-like devices that act in lieu of keys and remote controls. Regrettably, the world is also three degrees warmer than it is right now. Although that doesn’t sound like much, this global increase in temperature has wreaked havoc across much of the United States of America. Wide-spread coastal flooding has left massive areas of previously populated mainland completely underwater. Despite building dykes, raising highways, and channeling the water elsewhere, the U.S. is fighting a losing battle. Mass migration inward and northward has become commonplace and there is even a covert business helping those looking to escape into the safety of America’s neighbor to the north: Canada.

This book follows the story of three families, from vastly different backgrounds, trying their luck in escaping the problems plaguing America. Frank, Dana, and Embrey have been living in a private, domed complex in Texas built to house Gibson Petroleum employees. Not seeing a future for Embrey, who just graduated high-school, they decide to try their luck heading north. However, is this the sole motivation of the family’s patriarch? Harry’s house in Georgia just got hit by the latest hurricane and is now almost completely underwater. This being the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back, he migrates away from anything he has known and tries to survive as an accountant. His final push into Canada alongside his son, however, may show those around him that he is running from something more sinister than just flooding. Finally, Cynthia and Adeliza are fleeing from demons instead of weather. Coming from a relatively wealthy family, they are looking to escape life in a mixed-race family and the social pressures that come with it. Will these families make it through the underground railroad to the Canadian border? Will they make it past the high-tech safeguards the Canadians have installed or will the authorities stop them in their tracks? Will they escape in time or will each of the things these families are running from catch up to them? This and more awaits the reader in Three Degrees and Gone by J. Stewart Willis.

I’ve always been a devoted fan of apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic, and survival stories. Three Degrees and Gone did not disappoint this fan as it kept me flipping page after page. The fact that this book is set just over six decades into the future does wonders for the plot. It makes it realistic to the current generation, yet is just futuristic enough to allow for creative liberties. As well, the detailed writing the author uses when describing the multitude of locations in this book is just amazing. It shows the author is either intimately aware of Texas, Georgia, and Minnesota from a geographical perspective, or that he does impeccable research. What I liked the most, however, is the description of civilization’s descent into madness. It is both frightening and plausible that something as simple as three degrees of temperature would completely decimate life, civilization and economics as we know it.

There are a few things that I think could have been improved within this book. First, and a very minor point, would be to include a map in the beginning of the book. Although many folks could easily look up all the locations mentioned, having a handy map to show how 2086 America looks with the high-water levels, key cities, and the Canadian border, would be beneficial. As well, there were enough punctuation, spelling and grammatical errors in this book to be mentioned here. The book would definitely benefit from another round of editing. Finally, and what I disliked the most, was how women are portrayed in this book. Although strong women play a big role in how the book is concluded, throughout the story, they take a very subservient role to the men in their lives, which may not be terribly appealing to all readers.

Willis definitely appealed to a few of my literary weak spots. I’m a sucker for apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic fiction, stories of survival, and stories dealing with hardship. For that reason, this one clearly grew on me. For all of the reasons above, I have no problems giving this book a solid 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the grammatical errors and the portrayal of women, I feel obligated to take a single star off. I would recommend this book for those looking for a good survival/escape story that takes place in the near future, as this one definitely delivers on those fronts. There are some mature themes involved, therefore I wouldn’t recommend this one for younger audiences.

Three Degrees And Gone
View: on Bookshelves
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Sounds like a standard post-apocalyptic story, but it's the execution that matters. I might give it a try. Thanks for your honest opinion about it.
craftyfrog1
Currently Reading: What the River Wants
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by craftyfrog1 »

Your analysis entices me to read the book. A good story about the future makes me want to start preparing for the apocalypse. I haven't felt that way in a while. Going to add this one to my list.
P+s+k
Currently Reading: Deape Woods
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by P+s+k »

Good book with good writer. J Stewart Willis armed the view on 2086. A good philosopher and astrological keeper. In your writing, I sound out that we still have computer and good inspiration careers ahead. Fine, but remember that one proverbs on quote that Man is and architect of his fortunes and misfortune in the existing earth. Could you people on this platform form believe that? I so mush believe and my believe will be transpire to all the people on this media. Well down my astrological surveyor. The world does not change but humans changes their questionable characters on the world by getting confuse, with thy confusionist . All what is happening in the world was triggered trough human by troublesome, neither by political activist affiliation self centered Aeolian OR power tousle
Meanwhile existing people are the architect algonisms
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think a map would probably be pretty useful, I agree. From the sounds of it, there's a lot of drastic changes that have occurred due to global warming that necessitate a map. In addition to that, it sounds like the women need more to do in the book.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Although this book has it's strengths, several grammatical errors and degrading women will make me pass it. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's amazing that we can look at 2086 and think that is not too far in the distant future! The author has created a realistic world using consequences of a small increase in the temperature. I loved your descriptions and was intrigued by the solution the families are searching for to resolve their dilemma. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”