Official Review: The Price of the Passion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise

Official Review: The Price of the Passion

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Price of the Passion" by Sabrina A. Graves.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young woman is struggling with her life. She doesn't think she can go on anymore, so she takes some pills and tries to end it all. Instead, she finds herself inside a vision. It's a vision of Jesus's life, and she is able to see, hear, and experience all that is happening. How did she end up here instead of the afterlife (whatever that may be)? What are these visions and what is she supposed to learn from them?

The Price of the Passion by Sabrina Graves is the story of one woman's struggle; it's also the story of Jesus's life and death, told in a unique fashion. The book is religious fiction and would appeal to anyone wanting a closer walk with God or who is curious about the life of Jesus.

The story is told in first person as if the protagonist is talking to her friends. We learn about her life, though we never get a real name (her family calls her Babie, which seemed like a nickname or term of endearment). This was one of my favorite parts of the book, that is, seeing the Christian story through someone else's eyes. I liked the transformation that Babie underwent. However, I felt the author could have played up this angle even more. After reading the story, I wanted to know even more about Babie and her life.

Also, Ms. Graves has a way with words. Her descriptions were colorful and added to the reader's immersion in the story. When discussing the devil, she states: "Everything that has ever existed that is contemptible, evil and vile rests on this guy like a cloak that he wears proudly." I've never heard Satan described quite that way, and it fits his character well.

Though the book isn't meant to be a devotional, there were many life lessons in the story that helped me see things from a different perspective. Not all of it was new, but it was all pertinent to my faith. For example, I was reminded that God is concerned with every aspect of my existence.

There was, however, one downside. The book was not professionally edited. Most of the mistakes consisted of two words running together ("devil'ssuggestion" instead of "devil's suggestion"). Yet, there were examples of missing words and even typos. It simply needs a good proofreader to take care of these issues.

All in all, The Price of the Passion was a fascinating and engaging book that brought home a message that many need to hear - God loves you. Because of the errors, though, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to Christians or those interested in Jesus, but atheists or those from other religions might be averse to its content.

The Price of the Passion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm not so much into religious texts, but I like that this book encourages the personal interaction with God. I'm curious to learn more, I think this is a nice book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Fix by Lily Temperley

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am interested in how this story plays out. While I am not overly religious, I am still intrigued about how the author weaves the two stories together. Thanks for the lovely review!
Latest Review: Fix by Lily Temperley

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Dragon Bones and Dao
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: A Prince of a King by Gene Abravaya

Post by Juliet+1 »

I'm not sure if I would want to read this book or not; I'm not too religious, but the story sounds so interesting. Thanks for a very helpful review. :D

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: His Betrayals by Jerry Payne

Post by Cotwani »

It is always refreshing to learn faith truths through a different perspective. Sounds like an interesting journey. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Magnify3 »

I am interested in reading this book. I really enjoyed reading your review. I would like to know more about what happened to Babie. Thanks for the great review!

Irene_A
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Irene_A »

Love your review! I would love to read and gain insight on the author's perspective on christianity.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Julius_ wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 10:05
I'm not so much into religious texts, but I like that this book encourages the personal interaction with God. I'm curious to learn more, I think this is a nice book. Thanks for the review.
It's definitely an interesting one. Though if you don't like religious texts, it might not be for you. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 15:15
I am interested in how this story plays out. While I am not overly religious, I am still intrigued about how the author weaves the two stories together. Thanks for the lovely review!
I liked Babie's part in it all. She was relatable. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Juliet+1 wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 18:24
I'm not sure if I would want to read this book or not; I'm not too religious, but the story sounds so interesting. Thanks for a very helpful review. :D
If you're not religious, I'm not sure this would appeal to you. Thanks for commenting!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cotwani wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 02:30
It is always refreshing to learn faith truths through a different perspective. Sounds like an interesting journey. Great review!
I definitely got very good tidbits from the story. I recommend it. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Magnify3 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 05:17
I am interested in reading this book. I really enjoyed reading your review. I would like to know more about what happened to Babie. Thanks for the great review!
I hope you can find time to read it. I sure did enjoy it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Irene_A wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 10:19
Love your review! I would love to read and gain insight on the author's perspective on christianity.
I think she had a solid understanding of it. I found it highly inspiring. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: The Second born by Arnold Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! I love it! More of these kinds of books about God’s love need to grace our bookshelves. I hope the corrections are made, and then I’m all in. Thanks for greater insight into this one.
Everything happens for a reason...

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cpru68 wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 01:09
Wow! I love it! More of these kinds of books about God’s love need to grace our bookshelves. I hope the corrections are made, and then I’m all in. Thanks for greater insight into this one.
I hope you can find some time to read it. It's worth it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”