Review by Tamilore Sonaike -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamilore Sonaike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamilore-sonaike.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Tamilore Sonaike -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Tamilore Sonaike »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man! (pun intended) I love this book. Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is the perfect blend of humor and adventure with a touch of reality. Eytan Uliel captured the spirit of these four men. The story is written through the eyes of a masculine character and it's purpose is to open the eyes of the reader to see everyday life for an ordinary normal man. Fun fact: The author disclosed the name of the protagonist, Charlie Brown, once in the book and only an observant person can pick it out as it is easy to miss.

“Ever since I was a teenager, I've had this crazy idea of going on an annual vacation -each year to a different exotic location -with the sole focus of the trip being to sample every weird bizarre edible I can find”. These were the exact words Charlie brown said to his new friend Sam and boom! Man Mission was born. Now from the above statement, one can have a rough idea of what the Man Mission is about. Of course over the years, the Man Mission evolved into so much more. It became an opportunity for middle-aged men to undertake “macho” tasks to feel alive. It became a time for bonding, of valuable time spent with the best friends one could have. The members of the Man Mission in order of importance (inside joke)include Charlie, Sam, Daniel, and Alec. These men grew together, married, had children, and generally experienced highs and lows in life but looked out for each other.

The Man Mission originally consisted of two men, started in New Zealand, continued for 15 years (as far as the length of the story) and ended in Iceland with four men. Various mishaps happened during these missions, especially to the protagonist. My favorite character is Charlie brown on whose wrist the legendary pink bracelet mostly laid.

I love that this book addresses some societal issues. My favorite scene is when he was trying to explain some things to his mother and he said “I never knew to speak up and admit that I felt helpless or overwhelmed. No one ever said it was okay for me to cry”. This statement is profound and accurately depicts the problems and pressure men face. They are expected to always act strong and not show emotions as vulnerability is believed to be a sign of weakness. Man Mission by Eytan Uliel sheds light on such issues and the repercussions it has on both the man and the family as a whole. There is actually nothing I disliked about this book. I loved every part of it.

I rate this book four out of four stars because the plot, write-up, and flow are flawless. I noticed no grammatical errors. The book appears to be professionally edited. This book is suitable for people who are interested in books about crazy trips, groups of friends, patriarchal problems, or who just love a good book.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”