Review by gschauer -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gschauer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gschauer.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by gschauer -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by gschauer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey written by Eytan Uliel is a story of four men in their late 20’s who have been long-time friends. During one of their conversations, they have an “outlandish idea”. They decide to go on an annual Man Mission or a trip. Each year for the next 15 years, they find a different place to go and different adventures to experience. They look forward to each trip as a time to leave their daily lives behind them and enjoy a manly adventure.

During their adventures, they create Man Mission Rules which include “Go Beyond Your Limits” and “Travel Under Your Own Power”. Thus, each adventure is exciting, exhilarating, and includes times of strenuous effort. The first Man Mission is biking in New Zealand. Others include biking across Japan, kayaking in Australia, sailing in Thailand, and going on a safari in Africa.

Each chapter, or Man Mission, opens with an exciting glimpse of the newest expedition, then flashes back to how the past year unfolded prior to the mission. The reader learns not only about the Man Mission planning, but also about each character and their personal lives. The author does a wonderful job transitioning in an almost seamless way. Each section leaves the reader wanting to learn more about what happens to the characters. The characters grow and mature as they experience things average guys go through – engagements, marriages, having and raising children, starting new careers, ending careers, and relationship highs and lows.

During their time together, they give each other grief and sprinkle their adventures with humor. During each Man Mission, they also meet some interesting individuals in the countries they are visiting. Even though people can be very different, they are in many ways very much the same.

It is a story for mature audiences with adult issues. Many swear words are incorporated into the story along with sexual content and innuendos..

I totally enjoyed this story. I’m not sure what I enjoyed the most, learning about the different countries they visit or hearing about the ups and downs in their lives. As I was reading, I couldn’t help but compare the similarity between the Man Mission trips to the journey of life. Our paths, whether in Man Mission trips or in life, are at times beautiful and mysterious; and at other times hard, agonizing and sad.

This book left me with the thought that I should see more of the world and experience more adventures. It deserves a 4 out of 4 stars as it was a riveting story. Except for a few minor errors, the book was exceptionally flawless. I would recommend this book to both men and women. Even though it is about four men, as a female, I found many places within the story where I related to the characters. Men and women may think differently, but they also have many of the same thoughts and emotions.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”