Review by Rawan Alamin -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rawan Alamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawan-alamin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Rawan Alamin -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Rawan Alamin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a dramatic novel that takes place in the U.S.A. in the eighties. The story is about Doctor Luke who meets Lucy MacMiel his boss’s daughter and a trial lawyer at an event and gets to know her and like her. Their relationship gets stronger and ultimately leads to marriage. Lucy comes across an evangelist, who she’s defending against a sexual assault crime. The powerful and dominant client has many followers thanks to his T.V. show. The story unfolds as she abandons her career and family just so that she can be with him and move out of her country to follow him in Africa. Then how her family treats her after she returns.

What I enjoyed about the story that it’s captivating, you can and will complete it in one read. There’s consistently something going, which can be a little confusing for some people. The multiple points of view help you know what is going on inside the mind of each character and how they are reacting to the same situation.

What I didn’t like about the book that it had no character growth. It's hard to note an actual change in the characters through the whole story no matter what happened to them. Somethings are not explained well and it's hard to relate to the main character or any of the other characters. The length of the chapters is a little bit annoying as well. I don’t like chapters that are only one page and doesn’t contain something that needs to be separated from the following chapter. Also, the constant events that are going on in the book make you feel like the author didn't have the main plot and just wanted to explore all of these ideas in the same book. That can be a bit annoying to some readers.

The book had a few spelling mistakes, not a lot and it feels a bit like a draft, not a finished published book. It wasn’t professionally edited.

Because of all of these factors and putting into consideration the quality of the story, I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. If you want to read this book, you have to care about the story, no matter the character’s growth or the editing.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Stand Up! For Yourself by Jennie Msangi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

A great plot can never make up for bad characterization, and vice versa. The book seems to have potential though. I don't think I'll be trying this one out. Thanks for the insightful review!
“Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.”
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”