Official Review: Songs from Ugly by Heather Ricks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: Official Review: Songs from Ugly by Heather Ricks

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like short books that are able to have an impact on the readers. Definitely a book I need to check. Thanks for the wonderful review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Laura Bach wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:52 I like short books that are able to have an impact on the readers. Definitely a book I need to check. Thanks for the wonderful review!
I agree with you entirely! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did if you pick it up, Laura! Thanks for stopping by.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I admire the author's mode of "developing carthasis" and I think this is the best therapeutic form of healing; readers also stand to benefit from live experiences.
Great review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:19 I admire the author's mode of "developing carthasis" and I think this is the best therapeutic form of healing; readers also stand to benefit from live experiences.
Great review!
I agree, and I'm glad that it helped the author too. Thanks for leaving a comment!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This books sounds extremely powerful. I have a background which is very similar to the author's and I recovered much thanks to writing too, so on the one hand it makes me really want to read this book, but on the other hand I'm not sure it's a good idea for me because of all the painful memories it might trigger. Anyway, it was nice to read about this book, and your review was great, so thanks for the excellent review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! I don't normally care for short story collections, but your analysis of the book really made the book shine. It sounds like the author succeeded on so many levels - the emotional element, a wonderful writing style, and absorbing subject matter.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 09:36 This books sounds extremely powerful. I have a background which is very similar to the author's and I recovered much thanks to writing too, so on the one hand it makes me really want to read this book, but on the other hand I'm not sure it's a good idea for me because of all the painful memories it might trigger. Anyway, it was nice to read about this book, and your review was great, so thanks for the excellent review!
It was indeed powerful, the emotions just reach out to you from the page, which was amazing. Still, I understand if you are not too sure about it, but I'm glad that my review touched you on some level too. (: Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

bookowlie wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 10:08 Excellent review! I don't normally care for short story collections, but your analysis of the book really made the book shine. It sounds like the author succeeded on so many levels - the emotional element, a wonderful writing style, and absorbing subject matter.
Thanks for stopping by, bookowlie! Indeed, to me, the writing was honest and emotional and without unnecessary fluff, and the words just jumped right out at you. I glad I picked this one!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Wow! Your review is great! I've never read any short stories of late, but I like that this one is emotional and well-written. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Julius_ wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 03:42 Wow! Your review is great! I've never read any short stories of late, but I like that this one is emotional and well-written. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for taking the time to comment! If you decide to pick up the book, I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

The title of the book alone is enough to make me want to read it. So clever! And I love short stories. Thanks for a great review. :D
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Juliet+1 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 18:12 The title of the book alone is enough to make me want to read it. So clever! And I love short stories. Thanks for a great review. :D
Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment! (: I hope you will enjoy the collection.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

"I have never come across a book that is so powerful, evocative, and emotional;" Wow! Those are some compelling words and a major endorsement of the book. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for the great review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 15:59 "I have never come across a book that is so powerful, evocative, and emotional;" Wow! Those are some compelling words and a major endorsement of the book. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for stopping by; I hope that you will enjoy it! (:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great and powerful book that touches on very many important subjects. Would love to give this one a try! Amazing review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”