Review by Shabram22 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Review by Shabram22 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Shabram22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is about four best friends who ride together on life's roller coasters since their university days. They have been friends since grammar school and keep their friendship going strong all the way through their middle-aged lives. The best friends get a bizarre idea to go on annual, physically tough and out-of-their-comfort-zone trips to remote places to test their "manhood". They come up with their own traditions and unwritten rules that they must follow on these trips or else they will shamefully wear the "pink bracelet". Along the way, they all live their separate lives, including getting married, having children and growing their careers. These trips start out as being a quest, going from boyhood to manhood, but then turns into a journey of self-discovery. Many things change in the lives of the friends during the fifteen years of their annual "man missions", yet they stay the best of friends through it all.

This book is filled with adventure, humor and life lessons. It is written in the first person narrative. The reader, whether man or woman, will certainly be able to relate to these characters and life's challenges they experience. You will be emotionally gripped as you read the pages of this book. Each character experiences different challenges throughout his life, yet somehow they are all going in the same direction in life, each one, on the same road writing his own story, paragraph by paragraph.

Man Mission is an excellently written book. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the different adventures they took and how the author described the locations with great detail that the reader can feel like he/she is also traveling along with the characters. It truly made me want to visit these locations for myself and even to hike or bike ride through these beautiful places. I think the author did an excellent job of jumping back and forth between the man missions and the lives they lived keeping both stories interesting.

What I liked the least about this book was the curse words. I don't curse and don't like when people curse around me so this was something that really disturbed me in the book. Also, somewhere in the middle of the book I was getting a little bored with the book because the main character, who was nameless, was constantly unhappy with his life. This made it difficult to continue reading, but very soon the book again became interesting and then I couldn't put it down until I finished. With these two points that I mentioned, I rate the book a 3 out of 4. I feel like the excessive use of the "f" word was unnecessary.

I recommend this book to men and women alike because rarely is there a book written from the man's perspective. Women will learn something new about men and men will be able to relate to the characters and maybe learn from their mistakes as well. This book teaches good life lessons. I learned a lot about men from this book. I believe this book was professionally edited as I found no mistakes or errors.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The pink bracelet rule is one of my favorite and funny rule in the man mission list of rules. I agree the story is full of adventure, humor and valuable life lessons. I like your audience recommendation. Thanks.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

Nerea wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:00 The pink bracelet rule is one of my favorite and funny rule in the man mission list of rules. I agree the story is full of adventure, humor and valuable life lessons. I like your audience recommendation. Thanks.
:D I was laughing every time he got the pink bracelet. Thank you for leaving a comment
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I read this book too, and I also loved reading about the descriptions of all the places and learning what goes on inside men's minds. Great review!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

unamilagra wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 16:51 I read this book too, and I also loved reading about the descriptions of all the places and learning what goes on inside men's minds. Great review!
Thank you for commenting! :D
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A book about friend going for adventures. I love adventure stories, this will be a nice pick for me. Thanks for the review
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

Julius_ wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 06:06 A book about friend going for adventures. I love adventure stories, this will be a nice pick for me. Thanks for the review
I know you will enjoy the book! Thank you for commenting!
Vertigomen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vertigomen »

What an interesting book. I love adventure. Great review!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

Vertigomen wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 05:15 What an interesting book. I love adventure. Great review!
Thanks for your comment!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your comments about the perspective highlights a unique aspect of this book. I agree with your opinion about the main character. The different locations and the humor are appealing. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”