Review by Ibrahim Nayadoo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ibrahim Nayadoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-nayadoo.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ibrahim Nayadoo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Nayadoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is a captivating novel with an insight into the male thought patterns and revolving around four friends from law school. This book explores the field of friendship, marriage, motivation, humour and the struggle to define masculinity.

Four friends were having a good time during a food fair on campus, two of which were too busy lying on the grass recovering from alcohol excess the night before. The other two decided to move from stall to stall tasting everything the food fair had to offer. Two hours after noshing they decide to sit and chat out of which one of them shared his crazy idea of wishing to go for an annual vacation each year to a different exotic location with the sole purpose of sampling every weird bizarre edible he can find. Little did they know that this crazy idea will become their annual adventure three years down the line dubbed as Man Mission.

It took two out of the four to bring the adventure into reality amid the struggle to make something out of life after graduation, but gradually the others joined and it later transmuted into a well-planned adventure with rules and daring activities like cycling, kayaking and hiking. Man Mission took fifteen years of epic journeys coupled with changing times, and it's attended challenges.

This book is so insightful, elaborate and well-developed characters. What I like most about this book is that it gives a glimpse of real-life situations and also provide motivation along the way. Each mission is interwoven with previous events, trials and tribulations, physical injuries, emotional traumas, family relationships and what have you. I felt connected to the characters as I can relate to most of their situations. In fact, I have been inspired by this book with regards to certain life choices.

This book has been categorised as other fiction but it felt like I was reading a memoir. I did not like the fact there is no name for the first character among the four friends which made me so diligent with the hope of getting the name mentioned somewhere along the line but I was disappointed.

This book has a compelling story, well written and easy to read. The statistics after each mission makes it intriguing and mind-sticking. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, due to its narration and culture diversity, error-free and devoid of explicit sex scenes.

Those who enjoy reading fiction,travelling and adventure would find this book interesting. I recommend this book to all as it would appeal to a wider range of other genre readers.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”