Official Review: The 35¢ DOWRY by Maryvonne Fent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1970
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: The 35¢ DOWRY by Maryvonne Fent

Post by Julie Petitbon » 06 Jan 2020, 16:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 35¢ DOWRY" by Maryvonne Fent.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Is love enough of a reason to turn your life upside down and leave everything you know behind?”

The 35¢ Dowry by Maryvonne Fent is a beautiful and heartfelt coming-of-age novel. The first book in the Mango Blood Series, the story begins in the 1950s when Minouche, the young protagonist, lives with her mother, baby sister, and alcoholic step-father. When she witnesses her step-father brutalizing her mother, Minouche defends her. Afterward, when the police don’t help, Minouche finally convinces her mother to escape.

Though the after-effects of abuse remain, Minouche and her mother live a humble but generally happy life for the next several years. During this time, Minouche discovers her love of travel. She makes new friends and eventually meets Stefan, a handsome Polish student. There is an instant connection. He is handsome and charming, but beneath the surface is a wounded man searching for spiritual enlightenment. He opens her eyes to new experiences, and he teaches her to trust and love.

However, Stefan is bound for India, and Minouche doesn’t have the means to accompany him. Can she obtain the funds to get to India, and does Stefan want her there? Minouche must decide if her love for Stefan is worth taking the risk.

I love Minouche’s dynamic character. She is smart, independent, and strong. She is also conflicted and forced to grow up too fast. Torn between her loyalty to her mother and her wanderlust, her desire to break free from the constraints of an impoverished, abusive life fuels her. Her passion for culture leads her to travel throughout Europe, sometimes hitchhiking with her best friend, sometimes alone. Minouche has a zest for life that is infectious, and her wonder at the beauty that life has to offer is refreshing.

I also like the numerous cultural references interspersed throughout the novel. Much of the story takes place in Paris, but Minouche travels to many different countries in her teens. Fent’s attention to unique landmarks, literature, and art, as well as Minouche’s passionate reactions to them, takes the reader on a cultural and emotional journey. I found myself looking up specific paintings and architecture mentioned that I had never heard of before. I appreciate that this book entertains and expands the reader’s cultural horizons. These references, as well as the references to popular music and movies of the time, also further define the historical aspect of this piece of fiction.

The author’s skillful use of symbolism, especially concerning hair, travel, and astronomy, adds such depth to the story. I love the scene early in the piece when Minouche chops off her long hair, which is something her step-father never let her do. Her sense of freedom and empowerment at that moment is so poignant and pivotal in her maturation. Additionally, her discussions of cosmic forces with Stefen are thought-provoking and highlight her maturation and the deepening of their relationship.

I enthusiastically rate The 35¢ Dowry 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well-developed and impeccably edited novel that focuses on themes of love, perseverance, and following one’s dreams. There is not a lot of action or violence, which might deter some. However, readers who enjoy historical fiction that focuses on a young woman’s strength, passion, and resilience will adore this novel.

The 35¢ DOWRY
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Prehistory Explained by Shane leach

Post by Laura Lee » 07 Jan 2020, 22:14

This sounds like an incredibly rich book, in terms of visual imagery, symbolism, and art. I really think this is one I'd like to read. Thanks for a great review! I liked how well you described the various elements that make this such a special book.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Good vs. Evil
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Nyambura Githui » 08 Jan 2020, 05:06

I love Minouche's character. She sounds like quite the character, strong and independent. It's an inspiring story.

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Followers of Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kanda_theGreat » 08 Jan 2020, 08:53

Your topical sentences caught my eye and was enough to convince me to read the book.
Thank you for the thorough review.
Bet on me!✊

tsic
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsic.html
Latest Review: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure by Aimee Cabo Nikolov

Post by tsic » 09 Jan 2020, 01:03

Looks like an interesting love story ensuing between Minouche & Stefan. It would be nice to read this book especially that it's the first in the Mango Blood Series as mentioned in the review.
"A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.”
Salman Rushdie

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”