Review by Cinnie052 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cinnie052
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnie052.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Cinnie052 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Cinnie052 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission is a 378 pages story written by Eytan Uliel, about of a group of four Aussie men who plans a trip a year. From a mention in passing during their College years to a full-fledged adventure with hired help and fancy equipment, Man Mission follows four men on their quest to live the manliest of adventures. Fifteen years later they have traveled to six continents, walked, cycled or paddled thousands of miles, by their own power, thank you very much, and sustained quite a few injuries. All in an effort, to reaffirm their masculinity. Man Mission has a committee and a specific set of rules along with a relationship playbook. No spa trip for these guys! Year after year they concoct a bigger and bigger adventure, to the great displeasure of the Wife Committee.
During fifteen years we follow the main character, the author, on his trips but also on his daily life. As many, Uliel has planned his whole life and has done everything right. He went to Law school, had a great job, got married and had children but he is still not happy. As the story progress we get to witness his fall from grace but we also see how the yearly trips contributed to both the degradation of his life and the rebuilding of the person he wants to become.
The character development was clear and relatable although complex. We get to see how Uliel maneuvered himself into a corner and how he was the author of his own unhappiness. One of the things that bothered me was that the main character, which I assumed to be the author, was never named.
This book was separated in three parts that where in reference to the author’s life event, but each chapter concentrated on a different Man Mission. This made the book easy to navigate and the story easy to follow. Each flashback where directly linked to the previous scene and explained the preparation for the trip or explained a major life event that had happened that year and explained the characters motivations or choices in the previous scene.
The author was able to transport me to the trails and campsites he visited, with ease. The descriptions were to the point but not cumbersome. He was witty at times and managed to convey emotions simultaneously.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was well written and the story was easy to follow even with the time changes. The story was both emotional and funny. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was extremely well edited and well written. There is some profane language and sexual references and therefore this book would be more suited to adult readers. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys travel literature or just an easy to read story.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”