Review by Laura Lee -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Review by Laura Lee -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aspiring writers are often told, “Don’t start at the beginning. Start in the middle.” Boy, oh boy did Eytan Uliel ever take those words to heart! He doesn’t just politely invite you into the midst of the action. He drop-kicks you off the high dive to plunge into the icy depths of adrenaline, unsure if you’ll make it back to safety or not.

Man Mission opens with the author huddled in the back of a speeding truck, surrounded by loaded guns and kilos of illegal drugs. The author is sure he’s going to die and, in that moment forgetting that you’re reading words obviously penned well after the fact, you share his fear.

There’s adrenaline and humor from the very beginning. At first, I thought the book was going to be nothing more than an enjoyable, comedic romp. And it is. But it is also much more. Man Mission follows the lives, loves, adventures, and misadventures of four friends as they go on annual for-the-men-only holidays. The trips start almost as a tongue-in-cheek way to pit their youthful virility against the elements and the hardships of “roughing it.” Over time, though, the trips become opportunities for reflection and personal growth. It is here that the true genius of this book shines.

Uliel’s style of writing is a testimony to his skill as an author. After opening with a description of the author huddled next to guns and drugs, he leaves you hanging in anticipation while he takes you to a flashback of the events that brought him to that point. This is a pattern that continues throughout the book: trip, flashback. Adventure, misadventure, flashback. It’s a style of writing that is difficult to do well. Often when an author attempts this, the reader is left confused or more invested in one storyline than the other.

Uliel, however, interweaves the flashbacks with the latest adventure so adeptly that the reader is never lost or confused. Indeed, the events discussed in the flashbacks serve as catalysts for the personal growth and epiphanies discovered on their trips. Woven together, they present a rich tapestry of humor, wisdom, and life lessons.

While Man Mission is by turns humorous and inspiring, it does have some swearing and sexual content. Those who are offended by these things should be aware of that before reading the book. That said, the swearing and sexual content are not gratuitous. The language fits the occasion, and the sexual references are integral to the story.

The text is exceptionally clean copy. I didn’t find a single typo or grammatical error anywhere in the book. (Although to be strictly honest, I was so engrossed in the story that I had to keep reminding myself I was supposed to be on the lookout for mistakes.) I could find nothing in Man Mission that could be improved. Maps of the various mission destinations were an added visual bonus. Eytan Uliel’s Man Mission is definitely worth every single star in four out of four stars.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

For those of you thinking of reading the book, there are some great discussions on it here: viewforum.php?f=197

It really is a great book and I'm currently reading his next one, Head Waggling in India. How can you not like a book with that title? LOL
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Namaste, Laura. This is a superior review. I loved the book, too.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 17:47 Namaste, Laura. This is a superior review. I loved the book, too.
Thank you so much for stopping by and reading it. I really appreciate the feedback. :)
Laura Lee

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Great review, Laura, I love your writing style! And you find me in complete agreement with you, at times I was so absorbed in the story that I forgot I was supposed to be on the lookout for inconsistencies! I loved the book and gave it my first 4/4 stars on here :)
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

espo wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 07:32 Great review, Laura, I love your writing style! And you find me in complete agreement with you, at times I was so absorbed in the story that I forgot I was supposed to be on the lookout for inconsistencies! I loved the book and gave it my first 4/4 stars on here :)
Thank you so much, espo! I'm currently reading his next one, Head Waggling in India. LOL It's great, too!

Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment. :)
Laura Lee

Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

Forgetting you were supposed to look out for mistakes, that was funny moreso because i can relate. Very nice review.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Ariely 20 wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 13:23 Forgetting you were supposed to look out for mistakes, that was funny moreso because i can relate. Very nice review.
Thanks, Ariely, for taking the time to leave a comment? Have you read this book yet? It's a really fun one. :D
Laura Lee

Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

This was such a fun book to read - I giggled a few times! I agree with you in saying that he did a nice job transitioning from writing about the voyages and writing about more personal issues. I don't write fiction, but I can imagine that this would be difficult to do so, nice call on that one! Nice review on this fun, informative, and sometimes insightful book!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Totally agree! One of the best books I have ever read in my life. It made me fall in love with travel fiction novels 💖 Thank you for the amazing review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”