Review by Drmplant -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Drmplant -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is an intriguing shipwreck, search and rescue story. The characters are intense and believable. There are several different points of view throughout the book and this adds to its depth and creativity. The nautical terms were a bit confusing at times, but they don’t take away from the adventure in the least.

The Seattle Express is headed back to Seattle full of containers. The captain wakes up to smoke alarms blaring. He and his crew attempt to locate and put out the fire, but end up abandoning ship into two lifeboats. They are high up in the waters surrounding Alaska in the winter and about 100 miles from land. As we follow their adventure, we also learn of a tugboat, the Warhorse, that is headed their way to salvage the wreckage. The Warhorse is racing the owners of the wreckage, because whoever gets to the wreckage first gets to keep it. For one it means saving their small salvage company, and for the other it means keeping their boat and all its contents without a huge insurance settlement.

What I liked most about this book was all the suspense. What will happen to the crew? Will everyone survive? Will they be rescued? Who will get to the Seattle Express first? And so much more. It was very fast paced and I almost read it straight through in one sitting. My least favorite part of the book was all of the nautical terminology. It slowed down the pace for me at times. I am unfamiliar with the parts of a ship and the directions at sea. I usually skim over things like that in books, but there was a lot of it.

When I first began reading this book, I didn’t realize it was a sequel. It did great as a stand alone book. There was only one real unanswered question that I assume is addressed in the third book of this trilogy. What is with the boxes in the passageway?

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I truly enjoyed every minute of it. The book was edited very well. I found only four very minor errors throughout its entirety. I think anyone with experience at sea would enjoy this book, as well as anyone that enjoys a good suspense novel. I don’t think children or even young adults would enjoy this book. There is too much terminology and it would bog them down while reading. Overall, a great read and highly recommended.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”