Official Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding James" by Nancy Blaha.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Despite fleeing to California and Karen's attempts to put the past behind her, she is still mourning her twin brother's death for which she blames herself. In Finding James by Nancy Blaha, Karen must confront the pain she has tried so hard to bury when she returns to her hometown due to the serious illness of her father. She is plagued by guilt, questions if she could have possibly prevented James' death, and struggles to forgive herself and others. As Karen seeks to uncover the truth, she is shocked by what she learns not only about James but also about herself and the rest of her family. Will Karen finally be able to forgive herself?

This well-written book is just over 300 pages; the story is engaging and hard to put down. It traverses themes of family relationships, guilt, grief, adultery, abandonment, addiction, suicide, faith, forgiveness, hope, and redemption. The story is written in the first-person narrative from the perspective of Karen, the "normal" twin sister of James, who was born with weak lungs and a twisted leg.

I particularly like Blaha's writing style. She excels at showing us who Karen is through her thoughts, actions, and her vast range of emotional responses throughout the book. Layer by layer, Blaha reveals circumstances that have contributed to Karen's insecurities. Family dynamics play a major role in the story, and Blaha presents a well-developed cast of flawed but relatable characters, including her alcoholic mother and somewhat emotionally distant father. As the story unfolds, Blaha skillfully balances the emotional gravity of the plot by gradually building tension, allowing the reader to sense that there is something deeper that will soon come to light.

I can find nothing to dislike or improvements to suggest for this evocative and beautifully written story. While portions of the book deal with weighty issues and sadness, overall, it conveys hope. At the same time, it doesn't sugarcoat the issues or unrealistically suggest quick fixes. The synopsis mentions that Blaha and her husband have been involved in addiction recovery groups, "...helping to set the backdrop" for this novel; readers will appreciate the authenticity this lends to the story. Additionally, the book is professionally edited, contains no profanity, and the few sexual references are nonexplicit.

Therefore, I'm pleased to rate Finding James 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy redemptive stories involving family relationships. Readers in recovery will appreciate Blaha's sensitivity in addressing addiction and references to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

Finding James
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a very thoughtful and well-written story. I'll have to check this one out. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Thank you for such a detailed description of what sounds like a beautifully intricate story. I like books with depth and, from your description, this book certainly delivers. I'd like to read it.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rachel Lea wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 13:08 This sounds like a very thoughtful and well-written story. I'll have to check this one out. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for your comment, Rachel.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Laura Lee wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 16:37 Thank you for such a detailed description of what sounds like a beautifully intricate story. I like books with depth and, from your description, this book certainly delivers. I'd like to read it.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This seems like a well-written book featuring some strong character development. I like that. Thanks for sharing this informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

No improvements? Wow. High praise. There are so many important topics covered. I'm glad you introduced us to this. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JanetWF
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janetwf.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by JanetWF »

If the book is as well written as your review, it will be marvelous! Very nice and informative review and I look forward to reading this book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jaime Lync wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 19:33 This seems like a well-written book featuring some strong character development. I like that. Thanks for sharing this informative review.
Thanks for your comment, Jaime.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 20:02 No improvements? Wow. High praise. There are so many important topics covered. I'm glad you introduced us to this. Thanks!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

JanetWF wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 20:59 If the book is as well written as your review, it will be marvelous! Very nice and informative review and I look forward to reading this book!
Thank you, Janet. :tiphat:
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

the review sounds very goodand the character of the story also looks very well developed and written , hope the book also looks as good as the review looking
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a beautifully written book! I hope Karen can come to terms with her guilt over her brother. The story sounds interesting and obviously touches on some serious issues! Thanks for the great review.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I think whenever we dive deep into our family looking for answers we discover so much more than we were bargaining for. It seems that is the case with Karen too. Great review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
SHIB SUNDAR SAHA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shib-sundar-saha.html
Latest Review: Immigrant Hustle by Amine Rahal

Post by SHIB SUNDAR SAHA »

Thanks for your beautiful description.The story is quite interesting and force me to read it on my own.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”