Official Review: How to Write Smarter by Darlene Franklin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock by James Harold Kelly

Official Review: How to Write Smarter by Darlene Franklin

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Write Smarter" by Darlene Franklin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darlene Franklin’s How to Write Smarter is a guide for writers who want to take their writing to a professional level and make a living with it. The author is a seasoned writer with years of experience publishing books and magazine articles, having over fifty unique titles under her belt. In this work, she distills all of her knowledge into simple steps anyone can follow.

The book is divided into thirty lessons and five units: basic skills, nonfiction, fiction, poetry, and writing project. Each unit tackles a specific area of writing to make the reader a well-rounded writer who can then choose their specialty. The lessons come with quizzes to consolidate your knowledge and assignments to polish your skills.

Though the book is general enough to apply to most writers, the author also provides specific advice for the Christian market since she has expertise in it. Those interested in this niche should find it very helpful, but those who aren’t can safely skip these sections. Overall, the book is suitable for people of any religious affiliation.

I enjoyed the author’s practical approach that focuses on deliberate practice on top of theoretical explanations. While one can read the book in a few days, those seriously interested in becoming better writers should devote at least a few weeks to it, completing the exercises along the way. By the end of the experience, you’ll end up with not only advanced skills but also some marketable work to publish.

Everything comes together in the final unit of the guide, where the reader is tasked to write a piece of nonfiction, fiction or poetry that can be published. This is a unique aspect that makes the title stand out among writing guides. The only minor downside is that the book has the reader write something before looking for a market, which could be seen as backward for some, especially beginners.

That said, the book needs another round of editing. There over ten instances of missing punctuation, misspelled words, and subject-verb disagreement. While the errors aren’t particularly egregious, they’re not something you’d like to see in a resource for writers. Moreover, there are x’s instead of page numbers whenever the book references its own pages ("Explanations on how to write an essay appear on page xxx").

Despite the lackluster editing, How to Write Smarter is a great book for writers, especially beginners. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who has an interest in becoming a professional writer. Even veterans could extract plenty lot of value out of this. Since the assignments take a significant amount of time and effort, I don’t recommend the book if you’re looking for a casual read. There are no profanities whatsoever, so the book can be enjoyed by everyone.

How to Write Smarter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Kanda_theGreat
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Wow, I think there's much to borrow regarding poetry and writing project.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:

Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

I’ll be downlading this one. I like the idea of practical application of the skills learned. Thank you!

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by J_odoyo »

This sounds like a great read for writers. Despite the highlighted flaws of this book, I still think it's worth reading. Thanks for this insightful review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock by James Harold Kelly

Post by Tomah »

Marsnikk wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 06:10
I’ll be downlading this one. I like the idea of practical application of the skills learned. Thank you!
J_odoyo wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 08:13
This sounds like a great read for writers. Despite the highlighted flaws of this book, I still think it's worth reading. Thanks for this insightful review.
Kanda_theGreat wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 04:51
Wow, I think there's much to borrow regarding poetry and writing project.
Thank you for the review.
It's a pretty book for beginners and veterans alike. Thanks for the comments!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: No Second Chances by Christopher Sherrod

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a great resource for every aspiring writer! I like how it is comprised of several sections so readers are able to hone each lesson before moving on. Thanks for the engaging review!

nicole-adrianne
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I'd certainly love to check this out! I appreciate your warnings on the bad editing, though - not at all something I'd expect from a book on how to improve writing skills.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Kyle and The Key by Pam Dabon

Post by kandscreeley »

A book about how to write should be extremely well-edited. Too bad this isn't. Still, I've always wanted to write. If I decide to really pursue that, I'll absolutely pick this up. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: No One Has More Love Than This... by Warren Robinson

Post by kdstrack »

What a practical book for writers! The exercises, the resources, and the author's experience are a huge benefit. I like this book - except for the errors and the page numbers! Who wouldn't like to write smarter? Thanks for this recommendation.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a nice book for aspiring writers to read in order to improve their skills. I agree, though, that it should have been edited better. In spite of that, I would still like to take a look at it. Thanks for the great review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

nicole-adrianne wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 13:30
I'd certainly love to check this out! I appreciate your warnings on the bad editing, though - not at all something I'd expect from a book on how to improve writing skills.
kandscreeley wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 19:00
A book about how to write should be extremely well-edited. Too bad this isn't. Still, I've always wanted to write. If I decide to really pursue that, I'll absolutely pick this up. Thanks.
kdstrack wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 20:02
What a practical book for writers! The exercises, the resources, and the author's experience are a huge benefit. I like this book - except for the errors and the page numbers! Who wouldn't like to write smarter? Thanks for this recommendation.
Prisallen wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 12:05
This sounds like a nice book for aspiring writers to read in order to improve their skills. I agree, though, that it should have been edited better. In spite of that, I would still like to take a look at it. Thanks for the great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 12:09
This sounds like a great resource for every aspiring writer! I like how it is comprised of several sections so readers are able to hone each lesson before moving on. Thanks for the engaging review!
Yes, I do hope the author fixes the errors as soon as possible, since it's an otherwise great book. Thanks for the comments!

Frances019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frances019.html
Latest Review: The Hangman Returns by Dee Rose

Post by Frances019 »

This is going on my future book shelf. I would like to make some money with my writing at some point and this sounds like a great reference.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Finding Rita by Patricia Mayer

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote:
I agree and was going to say the same thing about the editing.

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: The Search for the King's Staff by Sophia Davidson

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

I’m not particularly interested in writing a book but it could be a nice New Years resolution/goal type of book for writers. The exercises sound helpful despite the need for further editing. Thanks for another great review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Cecilia_L wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 17:17
kandscreeley wrote:
I agree and was going to say the same thing about the editing.
Everydayadventure15 wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 11:09
I’m not particularly interested in writing a book but it could be a nice New Years resolution/goal type of book for writers. The exercises sound helpful despite the need for further editing. Thanks for another great review!
Frances019 wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 14:12
This is going on my future book shelf. I would like to make some money with my writing at some point and this sounds like a great reference.
It does make for an excellent book for New Years if your goal is to become a professional writer. Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”