Official Review: The Midas Plot by Frankie Albritton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Vanquished We Ride by J.L. Marquee

Official Review: The Midas Plot by Frankie Albritton

Post by Wyland » 31 Dec 2019, 00:18

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Midas Plot" by Frankie Albritton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Matt, the high desert landscape and mountains of New Mexico provided an ideal atmosphere for working outdoors. As did Uncle Joe, he identified with the 'bear clan,' and in summer, he often worked all day with horses and cattle without so much as breaking a sweat, something that made him one of the best cowhands for his age. In equal measure, he looked forward to the times he spent with his uncle in the mountains camping. During such times, he learned a great deal about his Indian side of the family. And even more, according to his father, a major revelation that touched on his identity and destiny was to happen, when he attained his eighteenth birthday.

Never one to be caught sitting on his laurels or even daydreaming about his future, Matt volunteered as a member of Colonel Roosevelt’s Rough Riders before the age of revelation. Later, his experiences with the Colonel in the Spanish-American War would open doors to opportunities he could never have imagined, like attaining education at West Point. In a nutshell, as his father’s son, Matt was destined to emulate his father’s greatness: a man who was the recipient of the Medal of Honor during the War Between the States.

I found the title to the book The Midas Plot by Frankie Albritton relatable. This is because of the popular tale of a king, Midas, “who could turn anything he touched into gold.” The plot is, however, anything but simple. Since earlier times, the demand for gold fueled by its scarcity, luster, and ability to act as money, and the subsequent gold rush (hence increased ownership of gold) following the discovery of America, has spawned the perfect tale of a conspiracy that’s presently addressed in Albritton’s novel.

As you can imagine, then, the writing is peppered with economic terms, like “laissez-faire,” “antitrust,” and “the gold standard.” And thanks to a brilliant plot twist, Matt, our hero, in the pursuit of more education, is smack in the middle of it. As it were, Albritton manages to strike a balance between writing on a subject that he’s passionate about, and a fictional story that highlights on the evils of hoarding gold whilst despising others because of their economic circumstances.

However, I thought Albritton could have invested more in the emotional aspects of his characters. I felt the relationship between Matt and his fiancée, Helena, could do with more sparks, for example. Not to mention, the instances where death is broached touching on Matt’s close relative or associate—as in the case of Matt’s father, or Matt’s friend, Sam—the details could have been fleshed out to give a realistic impression of someone in mourning.

In any event, I enjoyed the discussion about the Indian “bear clan,” succession planning, and the role of oral literature in the preservation of cultural identity (both Indian and German). Moreover, Albritton was bold enough to incorporate historical figures as part of his characterization while trying not to deviate from what is known about them: as an example, I took the character of President Roosevelt as depicted in Albritton’s novel, and I compared him to the historical figure contained in the President’s biographical account. I must say, I wasn’t disappointed.

As I conclude, I enjoyed reading this 407-page book, and I hope the book gets another round of editing to weed out numerous errors that touched on misplaced words, homonyms, and typos. And it’s for this reason, I mark it down by a star to rate it at 3 out of 4 stars. Also, readers may be interested to know that the book contains a cliffhanger as it’s part of a series.

I recommend the novel to those who enjoy reading conspiracy theory novels that cut across an indigenous culture, sci-fi, economics, and finance. At times, however, the writing became long-winded because of the many economic terms and discussions employed by the author. A unique redeeming feature of this book, nevertheless, is the clean language used throughout its pages. Lastly, due to the nature of the themes broached, it’ll be more suitable for a mature audience.

The Midas Plot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Jaime Lync
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by Jaime Lync » 31 Dec 2019, 15:43

This does sound interesting. I agree with you that developing the emotional depth of a character is very important. Thanks for the informative review.

RoyIsHere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RoyIsHere » 31 Dec 2019, 16:50

This does indeed sound interesting developing the emotional depth of a character is really important for the book and for the readers to get more interested

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Prehistory Explained by Shane leach

Post by Laura Lee » 31 Dec 2019, 18:48

You've piqued my interest with your book review. You said that this novel would appeal to readers who enjoy conspiracy theory novels. Does this book present a conspiracy theory? What is it? I think I want to read it now!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Followers of Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kanda_theGreat » 01 Jan 2020, 00:23

Conspiracy theories are my thing because I'm always eager to see the twists created by the author as he develops his protagonist.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on me!✊

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 01 Jan 2020, 03:32

Jaime Lync wrote: ↑
31 Dec 2019, 15:43
This does sound interesting. I agree with you that developing the emotional depth of a character is very important. Thanks for the informative review.
Thanks for your kind comments.

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 01 Jan 2020, 03:33

RoyIsHere wrote: ↑
31 Dec 2019, 16:50
This does indeed sound interesting developing the emotional depth of a character is really important for the book and for the readers to get more interested
Thanks RoyIsHere for your kind comments!

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 01 Jan 2020, 03:38

Laura Lee wrote: ↑
31 Dec 2019, 18:48
You've piqued my interest with your book review. You said that this novel would appeal to readers who enjoy conspiracy theory novels. Does this book present a conspiracy theory? What is it? I think I want to read it now!
Thanks for your kind comments even as you look forward to reading the book!

Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland » 01 Jan 2020, 03:43

Kanda_theGreat wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2020, 00:23
Conspiracy theories are my thing because I'm always eager to see the twists created by the author as he develops his protagonist.
Thank you for the review.
Thanks for the wonderful comments!

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by J_odoyo » 01 Jan 2020, 08:48

Sounds like an interesting read. I love it that you enjoyed it. However, this is not my cup of tea. Otherwise thanks for this wonderful review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ellylion » 01 Jan 2020, 09:11

Not quite my kind of read but it still sounds like something interesting, especially in conspiracy theory part :) Thank you for a great review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Nephi's Courage by Rory Mcfarlan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 01 Jan 2020, 12:14

I am going to add this one to my list! Thanks for the wonderful review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Price of the Passion by Sabrina A. Graves

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Jan 2020, 19:02

My latest book was a Midas story, so I thought this would be similar. It doesn't seem to be, though. Still, it seems like a good book in its own right. Thanks for your thoughts.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 01 Jan 2020, 20:20

The title is appealing and immediately plants a picture in the reader's mind. I enjoyed your comments about the historical figures included in the story line. Thanks for this captivating recommendation!

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World by Gahl Eden Sasson

Post by rumik » 01 Jan 2020, 21:30

I like the historical aspects of this, but I'm not sure economics is really my thing. Oh well, thanks for the great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”