Review by Sam Ibeh -- Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review by Sam Ibeh -- Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terrorism is an issue that has eaten up our world like a virus. From the days of Al-Qaeda to this present day when ISIS is on a rampage. While trying to do her best to help her country fight terrorism, Cynthia still had a little matter of her various relationships to deal with. If you desire to be thrilled and informed at the same time, you need to read Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer.

For years, Cynthia has been in a relationship with Dan. She deeply loved Dan. However, there was a missing spark in their relationship. She felt she was in a one-sided relationship with Dan. Their relationship hit a rock the day a drone crashed inside the White House. While trying to get to safety, Cynthia met Sky. A romantic fire sparked up between them. Cynthia now has two issues to deal with. The first is sorting out her feelings for Dan and Sky. The second is solving the mystery behind the drone crashing inside the White House. She put a team together to solve this, and other acts of terrorism. Will she succeed in this cyberwar? What is the fate of Dan and Sky?

This book is a classic page-turner. I beat myself up for not accepting to review this book before now. For the first time, I had to read a book twice just to have a second dose of the thrill. This book is interesting, engaging, thrilling, and informative. It kept me glued from start to finish. I enjoyed the way the love story blended with the Intelligence plot. I give it to Dorothy May Mercer for her writing style.

The character development of this book was top-notch. The author did a great job making the roles of the characters relatable and pronounced. It was easy to figure out the personalities portrayed by each of the characters. Cynthia was the idea generator. Glenn, her brother, was the strategist. Tim and Garth were the geeky computer nerds who enjoyed running command prompt and computer stuff. Sky was a go-getter who knows what he wants and goes for it. Dan was an insecure lover. It was amazing to see how these characters came alive to make this book worth reading. This what I liked most about Cynthia and Dan.

Though a fictional novel, there were some elements of research that made this book rich with information. The activities of terrorists and their modes of operation were aptly captured in the storyline. Even the hacking activities of the computer nerds were perfectly described. Apart from the thrill and suspense, there was credible information that gave me knowledge of certain concepts. In fact, my understanding of cyber attacks and the activities of terrorists was broadened after reading this book.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. The book was professionally edited and devoid of any grammatical errors. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves romance novels and cyber-related books.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I like that the author did a good research to add to the imaginative narrative. I'll love to read this book.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Cynthia was so smart and brave, but I don't know why I did not like Sky and Dan. Thanks for your review.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Love should be mutual. I hope Cynthia makes the right choice though. Amazing work you did here.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Nice review. I'm passionate about Cyber war and how to fight it. Looks like it will be an interesting read.
Uzzy_Reviews
Timothee22
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

onyii_review wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 00:44 Nice review. I'm passionate about Cyber war and how to fight it. Looks like it will be an interesting read.
Having read the entire Tom Clancy's Net Force, I am also quite interested in the cybercrime aspect of the book. I have read the book, and it was not bad.
Lily_flower_the_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-flower-the-reader.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Lily_flower_the_reader »

Judging from your review, it can be seen that you really enjoyed reading this book, of which of course, the book is an interesting one. Well done.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

I read most of the book because of the intriguing ideas it presented. Cynthia's love triangle makes use of the love theme as a metaphor. This novel fascinated me, and I truly liked it. The short novel will captivate readers and leave them wanting more. good review
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

It sheds light on the potential impact of cyberattacks on critical infrastructure and national security. It is very engaging and o agree with all the points raised in this review.
Raphael Raymondd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-raymondd.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Raphael Raymondd »

The author's ability to create a believable and engaging love story amidst the backdrop of cyberwarfare and terrorism showcases their skill as a storyteller.
Juma Florence
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juma-florence.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Signature Addition: Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Post by Juma Florence »

The summary of the book is good, and the review is well structured. The author did a good job in editing this novel, and I enjoyed reading the book. Nice review.
Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”