Review by Grace_94 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace_94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-94.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Grace_94 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Grace_94 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man mission by Eytan Uliel is a story of a group of men who were good friends that embark on yearly trips for the sheer purpose of adventure and to exercise their manliness. The book keeps one spell bound with the intriguing details of each mission which were a total of 10 missions. In each mission they return to the playfulness of their childhood and become like little boys again without a care in the world. Even though they each had very demanding jobs and families in reality.

I particularly love the vivid imagery and sense of humor portrayed throughout this book. As it was written from the first persons point of view (POV); in which case, he, the major character was the least manliest (in strength) of the group and often ended up with the despised ‘pink bracelet’- an object given to the person who showed signs of weakness and thereby goofing up in any of the adventures.

One thing stood out in all the missions, there seems to me there exist a kind of universal language every man respects! Or why else would a farmer leave his house in the bush opened to complete strangers and even providing them with every comfort they needed? Or how exactly does a traditional ruler welcome foreigners and treating them to the villages’ finest ritual of drinking and merriment? I tell you why, because men are fascinating creatures.

The book provides you the opportunity of seeing and appreciating life through a mans eye. I could feel their energies and enthusiasm with each trip and the exhaustion in their voices when they discussed their families. They didn’t have perfect lives and when they unwind they made it a habit to celebrate their wins and shortcomings in a spirit of friendship and genuine brotherhood. I find the dialogues authentic and unique. They exchanged hilarious and sarcastic emails so that I caught myself laughing out a number of times. One poetic line I particularly loved on page 95 was:
“Our feet kicking up clouds of dust that stuck to our sweat..”. Classy right?
I love their choices of places to go. I also enjoyed that every chapter concluded with a brief summary of the vital statistics that summed up that very trip.

Overall, I think the book was professionally edited as I found no grammatical or typographical error. There’s something off about the pages though as the first one I downloaded alternated between pages with fonts that were too tiny (almost micro) and normal. While the second download, (all ePub) had like 7 blank pages between every page. This coupled with the lengthy read (361 pages) made the book quite cumbersome to read.

I rate Man Mission by Eytan Uliel 4 out of 4 stars for doing a superb work of describing the adventure and life of four grown men who were young at heart. It’s a book that will appeal to lovers of adventure, family and even spiritual books. However, those who dislike adventure, travel and family drama may not find it appealing.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: The Guardians
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I just saw your post where you stated that you typed your reviews on your phone. I had to come here to read your review. I am impressed that you are able to compose on your phone so well. I listened to this book instead of reading it, so I was happy to hear that it was error free.

Grace_94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-94.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Grace_94 »

Thank you for the compliment Diana, means a lot.

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Walks of Life by Doug Wheat

Post by Rayasaurus »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! I also really loved the humor; it was wonderful. Thank you for the great review!

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've read this book and I loved the adventurous bit of it, although some characters such as Rachel weren't so likable. Thanks for such a nice review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

espo
Currently Reading: Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 402
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

I liked the book and found it quite hilarious - I could not help but laugh out loud more than a few times! Thanks for a great review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”