Official Review: Sophistries of Summer Days

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Official Review: Sophistries of Summer Days

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sophistries of Summer Days" by Jenny Lofters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sophistries of Summer Days, written by Jenny Lofters, is set on an island in the British West Indies in the 1930s. It is told mainly in the first-person, from the perspective of 14-year-old Cherrimina Murrow. Cherrimina lives with her mother, Mary Mary (that’s not a typo!), and her grandmother, Nanna. Her father is known to others around her, but not to Cherrimina. This is, in some respects, a coming-of-age story. It spans nearly thirty years of Cherrimina’s life, so we see her transition from adolescence to adulthood in the course of the book, a process through which she learns much about herself and about the world around her.

One of the early, pivotal moments in the story is the arrival on the island of Dove Diamond, a young woman in her twenties. Cherrimina is captivated by the glamorous American and the two form a friendship of sorts. On the surface, Dove appears to be footloose and carefree, but she brings with her a troubled history. It is a history that follows her to the island with serious consequences. Dove’s visit to the island is only one of several important moments in Cherrimina’s development. Her sunny island home provides an idyllic backdrop for other life-changing moments that bring her face-to-face with adversity. These are seismic events in her young life that leave her questioning her future on the island.

Do not be misled by the title of this book, nor by its cover, both of which may give the impression that this is a work of romantic fiction. The writer herself is keen to dispel this notion. She informs us, through Cherrimina, on page 256 that ‘No, and no again, this is not a love story.’ By that point, however, the reader should already have worked that out. This is a story about an ‘island in the sun’ and its people. The beautiful island with its simple charm and exotic ways is compared to the Garden of Eden at one stage, but even that place wasn’t perfect. Life in this Caribbean paradise has its dark moments too, something that Dove points out when she tells Cherrimina that her island is just ‘a sophistry of summer days.’

This book is beautifully written. The author herself grew up in the Caribbean and this work is evidence of her love for the place. She gives us the sights, sounds, and smells of her Caribbean home. She does so in language that is truly rich in poetry and metaphor and steeped in biblical references. The characters she has created here – Nanna, Barabbas, Bro’ Man, and Mary Mary - are complex and credible. Like the island itself, they are a fascinating blend of light and shade.

I am giving this book four out of four stars. It is an adult book with adult themes. Although there is only one instance of real cursing, there are discussions of sex in what could be termed lewd language. There are themes of suicide and murder and gender-fluidity. The book has been well-edited and I found only a handful of errors. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy character-driven, historical fiction.

Sophistries of Summer Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I suppose love stories can be written about islands, too. Who said they have to be about two people?
:)
This is a great review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a splendid island adventure to have on a dreary December day. Great review!
Brendan Donaghy

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 03:39 I suppose love stories can be written about islands, too. Who said they have to be about two people?
:)
This is a great review, thanks!
Thanks for your comments!
Brendan Donaghy

CommMayo wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 15:18 This sounds like a splendid island adventure to have on a dreary December day. Great review!
Sitting here, looking out through a rain-lashed window, I share that view! Thanks for commenting!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I was under the impression that this was a romantic book, as you mentioned. But I'm more than happy to take a little Caribbean vacation. And the characters seem intriguing!
Thank you for your wonderful review!
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

A coming-of-age book based on an island sounds quite interesting. I wonder what Dove's character will add to the story. Thanks for the detailed review!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like an interesting read but i am not intrigued by this coming of age story. Im going to have to pass on it. Great review though.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A book filled with intrigue with an island setting sounds like my type of relaxation. Thank you for the great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Funny how the cover is misleading, I would not have expected a coming-of-age story of a 14-year old girl. I wonder who is depicted on the cover, is it Dove?
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

It is a coming-of-age story. It spans nearly thirty years of Cherrimina’s life, so we see her transition from adolescence to adulthood in the course of the book. In this process she learns much about herself and about the world around her. It's a fascinating must read book.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Melanie Botha 1
Currently Reading: Ruler's of the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-botha-1.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by Melanie Botha 1 »

Its a really lovely review of a book and made me very interested in reading it. I do love historical books set in interesting places. Thank you.
BOOKNERD254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknerd254.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by BOOKNERD254 »

A story about Cherrimina's life and adventure in a beautiful island. I wonder if her personality changes during the years.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds interesting especially the setting which is an island in the Caribbean. This book should not be a long read. Thanks for your review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The mystery surrounding Dove’s life and a Caribbean island are both intriguing. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”