Review by amycvs -- Band in the Wind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amycvs
Currently Reading: Memoirs of a Geisha
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amycvs.html
Latest Review: Band in the Wind by William John Rostron

Review by amycvs -- Band in the Wind

Post by amycvs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Band in the Wind" by William John Rostron.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Band in the Wind by William Rostron is the story of a desolated man who, through the memories in his diary (and some song titles to put you in the mood), tells you the story of the best moments in his adolescence, and how the actions for which he has not yet forgive himself led him to his current situation. This is not a redemption story nor one of musical and romantic success. This is the story of how five young men guided by their dreams and hopes in music tried to find their own way in the world.

This book is, from my point of view, something that you shouldn’t read while bored, this is a book that tries to build up tension in the story with many hints and phrases of the “but little they knew about – insert future event” kind, that don’t actually deliver at the end of the book. I will give the book 2 out of 4 stars mostly because it was very hard to read, at least the first half, then there was a very interesting portion of the middle that put you on the same mood than the characters, but unfortunately the ending felt very rushed and not at all as a closing, many of the events that could be exploited for character development were passed by as simple situations where the characters only reacted and it didn’t have any extra insight or reflection on them.

I don’t give it less stars since the general outline of the story was promising and at the end it entertained enough when describing musical elements and scenes, the description of the locations was very well detailed and that gave me encourage to finish it, music and locations were the two elements that I liked the most. Honestly, I would only recommend this if you like music or musician stories and drama, but it is definitely not a thriller as the beginning of the story tries to convince you.

What I disliked the most was the slowness of the story and the way that it introduced the scenes (when explaining different POV’s or new storylines) that tried to give you a backstory but that it was left there and never used again to explain or develop something further, it felt like a waste of words and time.

In summary, I did not like the book and in any other situation I would have not finished it reading. But if you are a brave and musical person you might want to give it a try.

Band in the Wind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”