Official Review: Pepperoni Pizza Pinching chimps

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Pepperoni Pizza Pinching chimps

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pepperoni Pizza Pinching chimps" by Tracey C Ayres.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many years ago, NASA sent four chimpanzees into space with the sole purpose of colonising Mars. The ship, as well as its hairy crew, was lost shortly after entering the atmosphere. With no sign of what happened or where they went, NASA was left with no choice but to move on.

Fast-forward to today…

In Adelaide, Australia, pizza delivery boys are mysteriously disappearing all over town. Sixteen-year-old Keah gets yanked into the investigations when one of them goes missing outside of her apartment. Keah and her friends are suddenly embroiled in a mystery of massive proportions and need to race against time to try to help solve the case.

Pepperoni Pizza Pinching Chimps is classified as other fiction, but it is a children’s-cum-young adult book. It is aimed at a younger audience; I would say from about age 8 – 15. It had a scary aspect to it, making it just creepy enough to really draw a younger audience in and keep them thoroughly hooked. It reminded me a bit of the Goosebumps series, but without as much of a horror aspect.

I would have inhaled this book when I was younger. It has all the features of a story that I loved. The unknown antagonist. The house that makes unusual and sinister noises. The absence of parents to keep the lead character safe. These facets all tick my box to make a great preteen/early teen thriller. As it stands, I don’t fall into this category and I loved it.

Keah and her friends are believable characters. They behave like normal teenagers, and they have authentic interchanges with one another. It’s one of the hardest things to get conversations to sound realistic, and the author nailed it.

There was an issue that I would like to address. The name of the book (as well as the available synopses) clearly explains who the perpetrators of the crimes are. It takes away from the whodunit aspect of the book completely, and I would have preferred to have been in the dark about who our furry felons were until the end. There is a great build-up to where Keah and her friends find out who has been masterminding the abductions, but the big reveal falls a little flat because of the lack of anticipation.

The book has unfortunately not been professionally edited. The author, Tracey C. Ayres, needs a good proofreader to make this book perfect. Because of the sub-par editing, I can only give a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to a younger audience that like a bit of a thrill in their story selections. I would also love if the author put more mystery behind who the culprits are – but either way, I thoroughly enjoyed Pepperoni Pizza Pinching Chimps.

Pepperoni Pizza Pinching chimps
View: on Bookshelves
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

With your suggested editing, this sounds like a promising read for the targeted age range. I love the title!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, the title is really one that makes you want to check it out. It sounds like this is a great book for a younger audience. I used to love Goosebumps books, and I can see how kids would love this one too. Great review!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 09:02 With your suggested editing, this sounds like a promising read for the targeted age range. I love the title!
It is a super catchy title :)
Thanks, Cecilia!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

unamilagra wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 16:43 Wow, the title is really one that makes you want to check it out. It sounds like this is a great book for a younger audience. I used to love Goosebumps books, and I can see how kids would love this one too. Great review!
I also loved the Goosebumps series!
I think all of us readers grew up on them :)
- Dr. Seuss
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

This one seems to be a good read for preteens. The title is great, isn't it? Wonderful review! :tiphat:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a totally off the wall book. I like your comment about inhaling the book as a younger version of yourself. Speaking of inhaling things, anyone else have a crazy hankering for pizza all of a sudden?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's not a book that I would read now, but I can see how it would appeal to a slightly younger audience. I also can understand the anticlimactic nature of the title. Great review. Very helpful.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

mmm17 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 12:04 This one seems to be a good read for preteens. The title is great, isn't it? Wonderful review! :tiphat:
The title is so catchy!
Thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

CommMayo wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 15:20 Sounds like a totally off the wall book. I like your comment about inhaling the book as a younger version of yourself. Speaking of inhaling things, anyone else have a crazy hankering for pizza all of a sudden?
Oh my goodness, since I read this (and the delivery boy delivered 10 peperoni pizzas), I cannot get pizza out of my mind.
Must. Have. Pizza.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 20:28 It's not a book that I would read now, but I can see how it would appeal to a slightly younger audience. I also can understand the anticlimactic nature of the title. Great review. Very helpful.
Ya, as great as the title is, it just gives away too much.
Thanks so much for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Nothing like the title giving away the entire story! Man, I wonder how the chimps managed to get back to Earth? Like a lot of us, you have me thinking too much about pizza now, and it's also conveniently dinner time at this moment... Thanks for the amazing review, Bianka! (Although I will have to give this a pass.)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds so intriguing even though I agree the title gives away the whodunit mystery. I guess the how is worth finding out! It is sad about the editing though.

Thanks for this excellent review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Even though the title gives away a slice of the story, what young person doesn't like reading about pizza? The author seems to be able to appeal to a wide range of readers. Thanks for the appetizing recommendation!!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 12:10 Nothing like the title giving away the entire story! Man, I wonder how the chimps managed to get back to Earth? Like a lot of us, you have me thinking too much about pizza now, and it's also conveniently dinner time at this moment... Thanks for the amazing review, Bianka! (Although I will have to give this a pass.)
I know. My hankering for pizza has hit a near-critical level.
Thanks Gen!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”