Official Review: Biff Goes to Walmart by Scott Scheibner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 112
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Biff Goes to Walmart by Scott Scheibner

Post by spencermack » 01 Dec 2019, 15:55

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Biff Goes to Walmart" by Scott Scheibner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Biff Goes to Walmart by Scott Scheibner tells the story of an intelligent man shopping through Walmart sharing his thoughts with other shoppers. The situations Biff finds himself in are seemingly regular shopping interactions that turn extravagant quickly. From wise Asian men in aisle seven to Biff browsing ridiculous books, Scheibner takes a mundane day and spins it through Biff’s wild mind.

In this book, the reader follows Biff around during his Walmart shopping journey. Through interactions with other customers and Biff’s internal thoughts, the reader learns more than they need to know about Biff. Biff is an odd man who has trouble reading social cues and at times has disturbing thoughts that Scheibner describes in incredible detail. Such as the sexual acts he would like to participate in with the deli girl or why religion is wrong. Biff is described as a genius and it is plain to see that he is a smart man, but many of his ideas have limited viewpoints or are discriminatory. Consequently, the character of Biff is confusing. There is no doubting he is an intelligent person, but either through humour or bias, Biff comes off as ignorant more than once.

I like that Scheibner tries to take a relatable activity and make it humourous with a ridiculous character like Biff. Many parts of the story are funny, but these humorous events are overshadowed by moments or prejudicial or inappropriate humour. The irony of my last comment will be seen when people read a portion of the story where the author describes how easily everyone is offended. However, there are times when the inappropriate humour doesn’t fit the story because many terms are used incorrectly, especially when talking about the LGBTQ community. The best part of the book is when Biff is reading books in Walmart. In these portions, it seems the author explores other book ideas he has. I would be interested to see if the author expands these story ideas into actual novels. The most obvious problem with this story is that there is no real plot. Biff doesn’t solve any situation. I think this story would be better formatted as a collection of short stories rather than a novel with one setting and one character.

Based on the above comment I am rating Biff Goes to Walmart 2 out of 4 stars. The idea is interesting and there is some humour in the story. However, the glaring issue of no plot and jokes that are flat out inappropriate heavily overshadow the good. The book appears to be professionally edited as I found no glaring issues in grammar.

I recommend this book for people who want an easy and humorous read. However, my recommendation will not be given to people who like a clear plot or who would not appreciate inappropriate humour.

Biff Goes to Walmart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Spencer Mack

LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: The Piano Man
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Not So Bad - From The Bronx to Beverly Hills by Lawrence N. Field

Post by LV2R » 11 Dec 2019, 17:36

It sounds like an unique book, as Biff spends a lot of time in Wal-Mart, the reader is let in on his many encounters and thoughts. When Biff reads some books at the store, the author expands to other stories. I agree with you that the book needs a plot. I would not like the inappropriate humor used.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Fatal Flaws by Clyde Lawrence

Post by Prisallen » 12 Dec 2019, 08:20

I thought this book was for children from the title. It is obvious now that it is not. I don't think it is for me though. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: An Uncommon Journey by Shirley Raines

Post by Tomah » 12 Dec 2019, 10:20

I think the premise is really fun, so it's a shame the execution is lacking. I don't find much humor in offensiveness for the sake of offensiveness. Thanks for the review!

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack » 13 Dec 2019, 15:19

LV2R wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 17:36
It sounds like an unique book, as Biff spends a lot of time in Wal-Mart, the reader is let in on his many encounters and thoughts. When Biff reads some books at the store, the author expands to other stories. I agree with you that the book needs a plot. I would not like the inappropriate humor used.
I didn't like it either. Thanks for the comment!
Spencer Mack

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack » 13 Dec 2019, 15:19

Prisallen wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 08:20
I thought this book was for children from the title. It is obvious now that it is not. I don't think it is for me though. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Most certainly NOT for children! Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack » 13 Dec 2019, 15:20

Tomah wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 10:20
I think the premise is really fun, so it's a shame the execution is lacking. I don't find much humor in offensiveness for the sake of offensiveness. Thanks for the review!
Exactly what it is! Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
Spencer Mack

gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: The Other Side Of Healing by Bonnie Fogler

Post by gayscott » 13 Dec 2019, 16:49

Thanks for the informative review of this book I personally would've thought a book written about Walmart amusing from this perspective but definitely would not like hearing about his perverse thoughts. I will not be reading . Thanks for saving me from beginning a book I would not finish reading.

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack » 16 Dec 2019, 10:37

gayscott wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 16:49
Thanks for the informative review of this book I personally would've thought a book written about Walmart amusing from this perspective but definitely would not like hearing about his perverse thoughts. I will not be reading . Thanks for saving me from beginning a book I would not finish reading.
You're welcome! :tiphat:
Spencer Mack

MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by MustaHarleen » 16 Dec 2019, 20:40

Unique indeed but awesome as well. I would love to read it some time. Thanks for your insightful review.

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Man's Law and Divine Justice by Sidney L Jackson

Post by InStoree » 17 Dec 2019, 01:32

The premise sounds so ingenious. Too bad the plot structure and Biff's limited thoughts interfere in what might have been an interesting read. Thank you for an honest review!
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”