Review by shravsi -- Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by shravsi -- Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan orbits around the lives of residents in a fancy co-operative building at Central park south. The characters of the book are typical New Yorkers, avoiding eye contact in elevators and not knowing who their neighbors are. But is it accurate that, we all are so different that we have nothing in common? Or are our lives connected?

George and Hanife Kaplan Wallace are a divorced couple with a young daughter named Alya. They are trying to sort out their respective lives after tragic incidents. They know only one family in the building, John and Susan Roberts and their daughter Melissa, who is of the same age as Alya. Except for them, every resident in the building is strangers to each other. There is one man whose checkered blazer is more familiar than his face, a renowned author with a quirky lifestyle, a high-profile government officer and many others. They all seem so simple, but they all have their own stories to share.

I will not give any highlights of the book because I feel this book should be read without knowing any back story. Then only the book can deliver its complete effect on you. The stories all seem so puzzling it shouldn’t fit together the least bit. But the author magically interlinks everything slowly like, putting back a jumbled puzzle. The story hops between three years period of time but it does not confuse the reader.

I will rate this work 4 out of 4 stars. The book surprised me with its well-researched content, and it is well-edited. The author took extremely great care in writing the book and it reflects throughout the story. There are few instances in the book that may seem dark but I didn't note that as a problem. There are many topics like treatment of cancer, medical carelessness, fraud in healthcare and government systems, corporate espionage and relationships. There is suspense in every page till the end.

I would not recommend this book to young people or those who are seeking a light read. This book needs the reader’s attention or else you will miss key points and you will wonder how I didn't expect this twist coming? I request everyone to give this book a try as I am certain every book lover will devour the book. I thank the author for writing fiction with so much significant research. The author even took care of the clothes and house interior of everyone, which helps the reader to easily distinguish the character and imagine the story. The greatness of the author lies in the fact that you will not guess the true qualities of characters until you read and then you will wonder how I missed this before?

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tannus »

Thanks for the great review. The book seems so bizarre but entertaining. I would love to read this.

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

I like the way you've portrayed it in a suspenseful and careful manner. I really, really like your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”