Review by Kemunto lucy -- Kindred Journeys

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Kemunto lucy -- Kindred Journeys

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kindred Journeys" by Marjorie Tapley-Olson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lies are never good but these lies, keep Martha going and since none of us is perfect, it is encouraged to judge not. Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson is not your ordinary fictional novel. Martha has a lot on her plate. Life gets too hard on her making her take regrettable measures.

Martha finds out she is pregnant but this doesn't bother her much. Her dad gets furious and wants nothing to do with her. It's misfortune upon misfortune. Her labor comes early and she gives birth to twins; a boy and a girl. This comes as a surprise, a bad one for that case. She never expected this. Having no support system, she leaves and her journey is one of a kind. Her car spoils. She gets stranded with her newborns. She is determined to continue with her journey of finding Farley, her baby daddy so, she hitchhikes. She meets the good and the evil. She gets helped and she gets assaulted. A double portion that she has to bear. She lives of lies. She has to survive. In the long run, she loses her twins. Her future is dark. Will she ever reunite with them? Are they going to be fine? Are her reasons legit? Their forgiveness seems like a long shot.

This story is amazing. To be sincere, I have never come across such a strong and commanding narration. The plot is creatively woven, unveiling the twists in a pleasant, yet unpredictable way. There are humorous dialogues which make the reading fun all the way. Wait, have I mentioned Martha's lies? They are on another level. She makes us believe. You'll even end up taking her side.

I was really looking forward to seeing Farley's reaction when he got the news and he didn't disappoint. Martha's past come gushing after so many years. She demonstrates that choices have consequences. Life put her in a corner and she had to act. A nurse (her long lost daughter) and a cop (her lost son) appear in her life again.

The characters are well portrayed. You judge them at first but later understand their actions. They have strong backgrounds and each of them plays out their role in the most excellent way. There are vivid descriptions of events. Dialect is incorporated to bring out reality in the conversations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . I found no errors in editing. The twists and turns kept me turning the pages. I recommend this book to anyone who feels like they've reached a dead end. It will shed some hope in their path.

Kindred Journeys
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”