Review by Steven Samuel -- Cooperative Lives

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Steven Samuel
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steven-samuel.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by Steven Samuel -- Cooperative Lives

Post by Steven Samuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The life of ordinary citizens going about their basic lives is often considered a boring tale to tell or listen to but Patrick Finegan portrays a different view in this book, Cooperative Lives. George 'Wally' Wallace and John 'Jack' Roberts are next-door neighbors in a corporate building. Wally was a CTO at the NYL Health system, working in the same department as his wife Hanni. Wrongfully convicted and accused of espionage, Wally loses his job, his wife, his child, and everything else but his apartment which is about to go on sale.

Jack is a professional lawyer who had worked in three companies, all of which have folded due to bankruptcy. Due to his wife's accident that places her in a wheelchair, Jack has to run the family single-handedly, taking their daughter to school and her ice skating lessons while taking care of his wife. Their simple lives start spiraling down when a series of events cause Wally and Jack the become prime suspects in an FBI investigation on international espionage and fraud, subjecting them to public ridicule. Will either of these men be able to proof their innocence and redeem their name?

Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan ranks as one of the most spectacular books I have ever read. The book's plot is outstanding, full of twists, thrill, and mysteries. While reading the book, I shed tears, I was stunned, excited, and laughed. It was a real rollercoaster of emotions for me. The characters were deeply and thoroughly developed, lovable and likable. For example, Wally portrayed an IT genius in his field, yet naive in most aspects of life especially in relationships. There were several characters, each well developed and so substantial.

The book was also next to perfection in terms of editing. I only noticed very few and negligible errors, mostly typographical errors. For a 473 page novel, the editing was great. I couldn't, and still can't, find anything wrong with this novel. The author starts the novel in the present, then takes the reader 6 months then 2 years back to paint a better picture of his characters, the nature of the relationship that exists among them and the book's plot. Though a bit confusing, it added to the ecstasy of the book.

Though each event, from the beginning to the end, may seem independent and random, the author masterfully and brilliantly weaves them all together, each event largely dependent on the other for the whole story to make perfect sense. Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan has easily earned a 4 out of 4 stars from me. I would gladly rate it higher if I could. I would gladly recommend this to all fictional lovers. Although it sits among the 'Other fiction' genre it could easily fit as a C/T/M/H novel. The sexual contents in the book were mild compared to other books but I'll still advise viewer discretion to be applied.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”