Official Review: A-Drift on the Road by Cynthia J Dueringer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 59
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Reluctant RV Wife by Gerri Almand

Official Review: A-Drift on the Road by Cynthia J Dueringer

Post by Prisallen » 12 Oct 2019, 16:44

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A-Drift on the Road" by Cynthia J Dueringer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been driving and can’t see the road in front of you because of a horrible snowstorm? Every muscle in your body is tense as you try your best to ascertain what is ahead and to keep from sliding off the road. That is how I felt as I shared the drivers’ journeys while reading this thrilling tale of a disastrous snowstorm in Kansas.

Several travelers head out on the road to various destinations with one thing in common, they are traveling through the western part of Kansas to encounter one of the worse experiences of their lives. Their vehicles are diverse (minibuses, an RV, an 18 wheeler, and various other trucks and cars). Some of the wayfarers stop at a diner along the way and are warned by Agnes, the owner, that a massive snowstorm is likely coming. Hence, everyone should be extra cautious. There is nothing confirmed in the weather forecast about bad weather, though. So, they keep going. Suddenly, a Siberian Express blows in. For those readers who don’t know what a Siberian Express is, this is the definition (according to Agnes), “ ‘If a storm is coming out of the Arctic and slamming into the prairie at breakneck speed, loaded with tons of snow, we call it a Siberian Express.’ ” With no means of communication with the outside world, dangerously low temperatures, and no help arriving for the foreseeable future, the broad array of travelers must learn to work together to survive this disaster.

A-Drift on the Road, written by Cynthia J Dueringer, is a suspenseful tale that kept me on the edge of my chair. The reader encounters a diverse assortment of characters at the beginning, some who are likable and some who are not, as the author builds the background for the story. Her descriptions and realistic dialogue make each character feel known. These are some of the unlucky travelers in this thrilling story: an egotistical, self-centered, rich lawyer, three intelligent “nerds”, three teenage girls sneaking away for a meeting with a boyfriend, a minister heading towards a new congregation, a brave young man who wants to be a ski instructor, a tough, fatherly truck driver, a man who seems to be heading towards a life of crime, and his younger brother—who always gets entangled with his escapades. The author manages to develop the characters superbly.

The author’s writing style is fluid, realistic, and totally engrossing. Her descriptions of the scenes are so believable and intense I had to keep reminding myself to relax. Also, I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn’t freezing, snowing, and windy outside my house. My favorite aspect of the book is the author’s ability to transport the reader into the story.

Another thing to appreciate is the author’s sense of humor that is a little tongue-in-cheek at times. She diffuses the tension intermittently with something humorous. After concluding the book with what seems to be the “official ending,” she included a brief paragraph of an alternate ending that left me chuckling.

Regrettably, I discovered too many errors in the story, which took the form of punctuation flaws, misspelled words, occasional formatting issues (no double spaces between paragraphs), etc. This was my least favorite aspect of the book. It could use a professional editor.

I genuinely want to award this delightful story a 4 rating, but sadly, the errors prevent this. Therefore, it receives 3 out of 4 stars. It is recommended to readers who enjoy suspenseful novels with great characters and a little humor. There is no sex in the book, but there are a few instances of profanity. Therefore, it wouldn’t be suitable for young children. With the parent’s approval, it should be appropriate for a teenager.

Matthew, the minister, offered several prayers during the story, which is completely understandable under the circumstances. He prayed in a way that should be unoffensive to anyone.

Oh, one last comment, I think this story would make an excellent disaster film!

A-Drift on the Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nivi Gideon
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Nivi Gideon » 14 Oct 2019, 01:05

Well your review sounds just as suspenseful as as the book and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Great review

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Llama by Patrick Ntsime

Post by InStoree » 14 Oct 2019, 04:35

You surely created a suspenseful review that can easily grab the reader's attention. Thank you! I love an intriguing story with distinct characters, and this book seems to have a particular plot. I'll be happy to freeze my bones with A-Drift on the Road.
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 14 Oct 2019, 07:42

Nivi Gideon wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 01:05
Well your review sounds just as suspenseful as as the book and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Great review
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 14 Oct 2019, 07:43

:lol:
InStoree wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 04:35
You surely created a suspenseful review that can easily grab the reader's attention. Thank you! I love an intriguing story with distinct characters, and this book seems to have a particular plot. I'll be happy to freeze my bones with A-Drift on the Road.
:lol: Good reading and stay warm! Thanks for the comments!

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by Helene_2008 » 14 Oct 2019, 14:58

Sounds like a good book! I like that the book includes multiple characters and their experiences in the snow storm. I appreciate that the author includes some humor in an otherwise tense situation.

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Long About Ten Years by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten

Post by rumik » 14 Oct 2019, 14:59

Oh wow, this seems like a really interesting plot. I like your comment that it'd make a great disaster movie. Thanks for the review!

acopj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by acopj » 15 Oct 2019, 06:58

I am a fan of the road and could very much relate to this..Nice review

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 15 Oct 2019, 08:00

rumik wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:59
Oh wow, this seems like a really interesting plot. I like your comment that it'd make a great disaster movie. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by and reading it!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 15 Oct 2019, 08:09

acopj wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 06:58
I am a fan of the road and could very much relate to this..Nice review
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Post by Aniza Butt » 15 Oct 2019, 11:22

Sounds a great read with a great writing style. I always enjoy stories written in descriptive style and this seems exact the same.
Thanks for the review Prisallen :tiphat:
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 16 Oct 2019, 08:03

Aniza Butt wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 11:22
Sounds a great read with a great writing style. I always enjoy stories written in descriptive style and this seems exact the same.
Thanks for the review Prisallen :tiphat:
It is, indeed. Thanks, Aniza, for stopping by and commenting!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Post by kdstrack » 16 Oct 2019, 22:00

I don't think I would want to get caught in a Siberian Express. Your description of the author's writing style blended with the humor is captivating. This looks super interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 17 Oct 2019, 07:42

kdstrack wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 22:00
I don't think I would want to get caught in a Siberian Express. Your description of the author's writing style blended with the humor is captivating. This looks super interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
I don't think I would either. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Life's Harsh Reality by Patrick L Washington

Post by esp1975 » 17 Oct 2019, 10:41

This does sound like it would make a great disaster film, but also hits a little too close to home for me, as I grew up in eastern MT, where we could get hit by those same kinds of storms.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”