Official Review: The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encoun...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 108
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters by Micah Genest

Official Review: The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encoun...

Post by desantismt_17 » 03 Oct 2019, 08:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters" by Micah Genest.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wanted: A dark, twisty fairy tale with questionable situations, violence (but not gore), and odd characters and places that really make the reader wonder.

The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot’s Encounters by Micah Genest applied, and the position has been filled.

Harlot, a young girl who is extremely innocent, finds herself in the Land of Ick and Eck, a strange place where nothing is as it seems. This tale follows her journeys with a Ground Faerie, a Wood and Water Nymph, and a Butter-Maiden as the foursome travels from forest to garden to field and back again. They will meet the oddest characters and travel the most bizarre routes. But where will they end up? And will they like it there?

This book’s description promised odder versions of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, the Brothers Grimm stories, and The Wizard of Oz. The book didn’t disappoint. I clearly saw the parallels drawn from the classic tales. Harlot reminded me of Alice in ways. Her companions were reminiscent of Dorothy’s fellows, and Grimm influence was everywhere. For those wanting to dive into a world that borrows from these stories but also offers something new in its own right, this is the book to read.

While much of the content within is similar to that of children’s books, this is not for kids. The innuendos are a bit too forward, and the violence (while not severe) may trouble young or sensitive readers. It didn’t necessarily bother me, but neither did it really speak to me. This book fell a bit too far left of center for my taste. That said, there is nothing wrong with it. It’s one of the best-edited books I’ve read in a long time (I noticed not one error). The writing, though, is purposefully circuitous. Rhyme, alliteration, repetition, and other literary devices are used liberally. There also seemed to be less of a cohesive start-to-finish plot and more of a wandering sense. If this is the kind of style that bothers you, you may wish to skip this book.

I rate The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot’s Encounters 3 out of 4 stars. I really wanted to give it 4, but I just didn’t get into it enough. I never thought to rate it less than 3. Those who are not easily offended or disturbed would very much enjoy this. As I said, the violence is minimal, and there are hints of sexual content. Nothing is described in detail, and there is no cursing to speak of. I still recommend this book only for adults, partly because children may not grasp all the complexities. It’s the kind of story that leaves you blinking, and I think reading it more than once would enhance the experience.

The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by AvidBibliophile » 04 Oct 2019, 14:27

The mentioned parallels to Alice, Dorothy, and the brothers Grimm are intriguing, and the title alone sounds quite enticing - from a fantastical mystery standpoint! A circuitous writing style with liberally sprinkled literary devices piques my interest for sure, but I can certainly understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea. Thank you kindly for your honest and informative review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Oct 2019, 19:03

I would like to read a book that has so many nods to Grimm, the Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure if really enjoy the book, though, nor the innuendos. It'd be a bit too wandering for me. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Rachel Lea » 05 Oct 2019, 04:26

I am more a fan of cohesive plots, so I would probably find this book difficult to get through. But it definitely sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Book: Magic Slays
Currently Reading: Magic Rises
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Letora » 05 Oct 2019, 05:08

I love dark fantasy and the fey. This sounds right up my alley. Thank you for your review :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 05 Oct 2019, 21:22

This would be interesting just to see what kind of creative ideas the author throws in that haven't already appeared in the works you have mentioned. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Meg98 » 20 Oct 2019, 11:08

I'm not sure if this one is for me, but thank you for this great review! Cheers
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”