Official Review: Saving Sabine by Kelley Rene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Saving Sabine by Kelley Rene

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 01 Oct 2019, 12:10

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving Sabine" by Kelley Rene.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Celia invited her younger sister, Meghan, and Meghan’s friend, Libby, to London for the week, she anticipated fun and adventure. The last thing she expected was to be plagued by fears brought on by her feelings of responsibility for the teenage girls. This trip was supposed to be a chance to relax, to enjoy some bonding time with her sister before Meghan heads off to college. An unexpected encounter with a young woman who desperately needs help abruptly changes the mood of the trip. The girls must step out of their comfort zone to act. Helping Sabine seems to be the right thing to do, but what if the girls’ good intentions don’t turn out for the best?

Saving Sabine, by Kelley Rene, is a contemporary-fiction novella inspired by true events. In the back of the book, Rene includes a link to further information about the events that lead to the creation of the novella. The author aims to create awareness of the plight of young women who are drawn into the life of prostitution by lofty promises of money and success. They leave home thinking they will earn a better life only to find themselves trapped in a life of drug addiction and destruction. To facilitate discussion about the events of the book, she even included a set of thought-provoking questions.

Celia’s emotions throughout the story created an air of suspense, and her feelings were relatable. The loss of their mother has made her feel responsible for Meghan, but Meghan feels ready to make her own decisions. Meghan and Libby are annoyed with Celia’s overprotective nature, especially when their immature antics cause Celia to overreact to their harmless intentions. The seriousness of Sabine’s plight, however, causes Celia to face her fears and overcome her anxiety. At the same time, the girls are given a chance to step out with courage that will mature them as they look beyond themselves.

The only thing that would have made the book better would have been a bit more backstory for Celia, Meghan, and their mother. Rene’s writing style allows the reader to put most of the pieces together. I, however, would have liked to see a little more development of the events that caused so many regrets and insecurities in Celia. There seems to have been tension between Celia and her mother, but Meghan and their mother had a more positive relationship. Glimpses are given into the past, but we never get the full story on what events lead up to the events in this novella.

Still, the overall impact of the author’s message left me satisfied at the end of this beautiful story. In the end, it left me feeling challenged to step out of my comfort zone, to think beyond myself, and to help others. This well-edited novella deserves a 4 out of 4. I might have considered taking a half point off for the lack of backstory for the main characters, but that would still round up to 4. This story is inspirational fiction that may appeal more to a Christian audience, but the author was never preachy. Instead, she offers a compassionate message of helping others and the power of prayer in reuniting loved ones.

Saving Sabine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html

Post by Helene_2008 » 02 Oct 2019, 13:57

I like your summary of the novella and that it's based on true events. I also appreciate the author's message about helping others. I could benefit from reading this and challenging myself to help others more often.

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by AvidBibliophile » 02 Oct 2019, 17:00

It was nice to hear that the tale is portrayed in a compassionate manner, giving hope and inspiration to families struggling to find their ways in life. The appeal of prostitution is a hard mindset to fathom, but it sounds like the author convincingly portrayed why it might possess a certain allure for some girls coming into adulthood. Thank you for the helpful review!

HeatherEi
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by HeatherEi » 03 Oct 2019, 08:23

I enjoy these kinds of stories. I will have to read this!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 03 Oct 2019, 10:10

This premise has me so intrigued, and that cover is beautiful! I would really like to read this one. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Everydayadventure15
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 03 Oct 2019, 15:03

AvidBibliophile wrote: ↑
02 Oct 2019, 17:00
It was nice to hear that the tale is portrayed in a compassionate manner, giving hope and inspiration to families struggling to find their ways in life. The appeal of prostitution is a hard mindset to fathom, but it sounds like the author convincingly portrayed why it might possess a certain allure for some girls coming into adulthood. Thank you for the helpful review!
I was wondering how prostitution would be an appealing reason to leave home, but a friend shared with me some of the misleading job descriptions and advertisements that are used to snag young nieve women. They tend to promise high-paying jobs, loving relationships, flexible hours, travel, and other exciting opportunities with little to no experience required. From then on it's easy to trap people with feelings of shame and fear. I remember wanting so badly to make money and travel when I was in high school so I can see now how those promises would be appealing but it's still really sad that people will take advantage of nieve girls these days.

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html

Post by AvidBibliophile » 03 Oct 2019, 15:57

Everydayadventure15 wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2019, 15:03
AvidBibliophile wrote: ↑
02 Oct 2019, 17:00
I was wondering how prostitution would be an appealing reason to leave home, but a friend shared with me some of the misleading job descriptions and advertisements that are used to snag young nieve women. They tend to promise high-paying jobs, loving relationships, flexible hours, travel, and other exciting opportunities with little to no experience required. From then on it's easy to trap people with feelings of shame and fear. I remember wanting so badly to make money and travel when I was in high school so I can see now how those promises would be appealing but it's still really sad that people will take advantage of nieve girls these days.
That's an excellent point since "manipulative advertising" to some degree is also how real estate listings sell you on tiny things like a "cozy bungalow in a culturally diverse entertainment district." Misleading listings can trick so many of us into seeing the silver lining of new opportunities when maybe we should walk the other direction entirely. "Little to no experience required" -- eek, I cringe at the accuracy of that thought in such a field :shock: but naiveté can get you into all sorts of trouble!

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The Magician Cat by Hawk Selah
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 07 Oct 2019, 19:31

A vacation in London turns into a learning experience for Celia, Meghan, and Libby, and perhaps a new lease on life for Sabine. I am surprised to learn that forced prostitution also happens in London; the flesh trade seems to thrive anywhere.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html

Post by Wyland » 07 Oct 2019, 22:02

Thanks for the helpful way you bring out the positive points on Sabine's story. I like the way the book exposes the real dangers of prostitution and drug addiction.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Michelle Fred » 08 Oct 2019, 04:21

This book is very relevant in our time. I hope Sabine is okay wherever she is. Thank you so much for this wonderful review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Stock Investing For Everyone by Kevin J. Davey

Post by Tomah » 08 Oct 2019, 14:30

Despite the Christian overtones, I'm fascinated by the story, especially seeing how it's based on true events. Not many books tackle prostitution, so I'm eager to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

jeminah28
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 580
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 799
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by jeminah28 » 09 Oct 2019, 05:49

Sometimes, I cannot relate more to dominated female characters because I never had a sister. I cannot relate to their moments, however, I am intrigued by the prostitution journey just for survival. Thanks for the review
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Reluctant RV Wife by Gerri Almand

Post by Prisallen » 10 Oct 2019, 11:30

This novella certainly touches on a subject that doesn't get enough attention. It sounds like something I would love to read especially since it is so well written. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 Oct 2019, 12:12

I love how descriptive, yet brief, your review manages to be; I never really pull that off. Saving Sabrina seems to be the kind of story we should all read, and I'm glad for the compassionate manner in which such a sensitive subject has been handled.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Shade
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: The Alexander Gambit by Robert M Leonard

Post by Juliet+1 » 10 Oct 2019, 15:13

Thanks for a very insightful review. Those teenage years are so difficult, one foot in childhood and the other in adulthood. It's too easy for others to take advantage of these kids.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”