Review by Marta013 -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marta013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta013.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Marta013 -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Marta013 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The spirit of want by William H. Coles.

This book seemed interesting to me after reading the short summary, unfortunately it turned out not to be the way I expected it to be.
It tells a story of Lucy, a lawyer with a strong, good reputation. She meets Luke, who is an ocular surgeon, and as the story goes on they end up getting married. They have a daughter named Jennifer. Since both parents are rather dedicated to their jobs a nanny, Elizabeth, is taking care of Jennifer.

The story gets more interesting when Lucy decides to take the case of a TV evangelist, Bain, accused of sexual molestation, she surely does not expect all the thing that will happen. She loses the case but furthermore she happens to fall in love with the evangelist. Totally blinded by the ”love” she follows her lover to Africa as he flees from his punishment. Her reckless behaviour she puts in danger not only her career but, most importantly her family.
While in Africa Lucy suddenly realizes she ought to go back to her family.
So she does. Probably not really sure of what is waiting for here back home.

Is her husband going to forgive her? Or her daughter? Are they going to figure things out? Or do they never want to see her again?
After some time it is suggested that Luke has a dark secret of his own. Is it possible that this secret could ruin his marriage? Or what is the reason Lucy left? These questions are answered in the ending which is quite unexpected and maybe the best part of this book.

This book has many characters, but none of them seems to be likeable.They are egocentric and selfish and arrogant. Lucy is a character that I found to be very hard to identify with.I could not understand why she had abandoned her own family without any explenation. As a matter of fact other characters are unlikely to connect with either.
There are also some gaps in the story line. There are chapters where one is a couple of months earlier than the following one. That leaves the reader with some lack of knowledge.
The book is not edited well. The are some typos and misspellings.

Overall I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It wasn't very pleasant to read and above that it was disappointing.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”