Review by Amna Walistan -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amna Walistan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-walistan.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Amna Walistan -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amna Walistan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is an epic novel that follows the annual tour of four friends to the distant places. In the course of these fifteen years, the writer has also portrayed the changes that took place in the personal lives of those men, from marriage to career. It was in the college where narrator, the main character befriends a guy named Sam and they both advance to the Food Fair held at the campus. There, they come up with an idea of touring different remote places annually.

The years pass by until one day, Sam makes a phone-call to the main character and reminds him of their plan made years back. They both agree to take a trip to New Zealand. From there on, the epic journey of four close friends start. At first, Daniel and Alec couldn’t join them due to some engagements but later on, they too become the part of Man-Mission. The tradition is thus set; every year they come together for a week-long trip in search of adventure and an opportunity to getaway from the worries of life.From the hitch-hiking in New Zealand to the biking in Japan, river-kayaking in Australia, coming face-to face with lions in South Africa, trekking to Machu Picchu to ice-climbing in Iceland, the novel offers a lot. With the passage of time, the Man Mission becomes a symbol of reaffirming and redefining manhood among the friends.

I found the novel captivating. Written in the style of memoir, an un-named first person, narrator provides effective real-time description of the exotic food, cultures and physical challenges. The dialogues are quite engrossing. At times, the fun and humour is depicted through them while at other times, they portray the insight of life.

The author keeps the reader anticipated as the reader starts wondering what will happen next. A secondary narrative, encompassing the narrator’s backstory, balances the book’s action with necessary content. The narrator’s backstory showcases his family life, career or focuses on his gatherings or meetings with his friends.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The book is both well-written and well-edited. Therefore I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars. I think it would be appreciated by the readers who love to read about friendship and adventures. I also recommend this book to all those people who like reading about challenges the life has to offer.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”