Review by Ashley Louise -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Louise
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Ashley Louise -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Ashley Louise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters, written by Michelle Cummings is truly an inspiring tale with many ups and downs telling you that all things are possible when it comes to fly fishing. 5 very different women come together for the love of the sport all while battling their own personal demons and showing us that true, genuine friendship can overcome anything. The story told in the voice of the five main characters, there is always an interesting topic to explore. While the novel is based around fly fishing, it is truly a novel about friendship and individualism.

While I feel this novel would be fitting for anyone with a passion for reading, there is a lot to learn for someone going through a hard time in their lives. It starts with good friends Rose, Sophie, Veronica and Amanda when on a weekend away together to partake in their favorite things; gossip and fishing, they meet the fifth member of their group they didn't know they needed, Melody, naked floating downstream. It is fitting for there to have ended up being five women when there are five major components of fly fishing which we learn about in the beginning of the novel. One of the best aspects of this particular novel is there are no real damsels in distress outside of Melody being rescued from the water. Each woman needs a helping hand from the other, but they are self-sufficient and determined.

While I did immensely love almost every aspect of this book, I found the beginning less enjoyable. Because the characters lives and interactions center around fly fishing, we have to learn a lot about it in the beginning. This made the story slower and harder follow, causing the feeling of wanting to skip ahead. This was the only time throughout the book I needed to take a break from reading to allow my mind to focus. This fly fishing knowledge we gain in the beginning, though tedious, is useful for later in the book when the women discuss certain areas to fish and aspects of the sport itself.

I feel this novel would be perfect for anyone, regardless of gender or age. Anyone can pick this book up and find inspiration, strength and encouragement throughout the pages. I wish I had read this book as a young adult trying to find my place in the word and my way through life as it holds some wonderful advice. I recommend anyone, and everyone give this novel a chance and truly listen to what Cummings, along with her amazing characters, are trying to tell us.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for its heartfelt and sincere story. I found myself unable to stop reading once I started and even the urge to read it a second time through, scanning for any bits I could have missed. Unfortunately due to several punctuation errors with missing or misplaced commas and the incorrect usage of apostrophes I was unable to rate this a 4, but I do not feel that the errors take away from the story in any way. The story flowed freely, and I was so involved in the novel and the characters lives I almost may have missed the errors myself. I recommend this book to absolutely anyone and everyone and sincerely hope it makes you feel as free as it made me feel.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”