Review by Nic Eliza -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nic Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nic-eliza.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Review by Nic Eliza -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Nic Eliza »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a story about five women who found friendship and affection between themselves stemming from their love of fly fishing. Rose owns a cabin in the mountains and, having introduced all these ladies to the sport, invites them for a few weekends of fly fishing, relaxation, good wine and girl talk at the cabin. She is the matriarch of the group. Veronica is the determined self-sufficient executive owning a company that coaches women on how to become better leaders. She is married to Thatcher who owns a successful restaurant. Amanda is a school teacher with two children and is married to Mike who is a soldier deployed in Afghanistan. Sophie is the independent go-getter of the group, a community person at heart, owning a greenhouse that donates food to charity. Melody is the last addition to the group, a quiet introverted photographer and musician, struggling to choose a career path between her photography and music her parents insist she should do.

Many people would think this book is about fly fishing but it is about friendship that roots from the love of one sport yet transcends fly fishing, hobbies, job, distance, and marital status. This story was a true delight to read. The author does a tremendous job of combining the art of fly fishing with the art of living. The characters are real, funny and strong, each with a unique personality and life story.

I must admit I didn't enjoy the beginning of this book. There was too much background information about fly fishing and I found it boring and tedious trying to understand all the new terms that come with the sport. However, the story grasped my attention as the writer delved into each woman's story, narrating them in a heartfelt and sincere manner.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because of the beginning which can easily put off readers from continuing with the story. The story is written in an easy and light-hearted manner. I also loved that the book is organized as a narrative from each of the women so that we get to know them better.

I recommend the book to young women and girls due to its relatability, bringing out the friendship between women that each girl out there would love to share with fellow girls. It would also be a good read for people who love books about friendship and the intimacies of social groups.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: The Centurion by Joe Mack High

Post by Juliet+1 »

Nice review! I think you really captured the heart of this story. I enjoyed it too; my favorite character was Melody.

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading: Wherever the Road Leads
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Through the Eyes of a Black Butterfly by Karen L. Williams-Tisdel

Post by djr6090 »

Melody was my favorite character, too. Though I would not have called this tattooed, pierced, pose-naked, wild-child an introvert.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”