Review by Stephanie Elizabeth -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review by Stephanie Elizabeth -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Friendship is a great gift, one that should never be taken for granted.”

A passion for fly fishing is what brings the women of The Reel Sisters together, but it is the laughter and memories that keep them coming back for more. Rose, Amanda, Sophie, and Veronica are excited to have a girl`s weekend up at Rose’s cabin. They plan to keep the red wine flowing and the conversations going while they indulge in their favorite pastime—fishing! While anxiously awaiting the perfect catch, the women are horrified to see a nude young woman being pulled downstream! After rescuing this poor woman, and making sure she’s stable and unharmed, they learn the shockingly hilarious reason for her predicament. The woman, Melody, shows an interest in fly fishing and quickly becomes a permanent fixture in the group.

As the story unfolds, readers become acquainted with each character, and how they fit into the diverse group. While their individual lives differ significantly from one another, the commonality is that each woman has an obstacle to overcome. Readers are invited into their world as the friends grapple with self-identity, tragedy, and life-changing revelations.

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings was written in a way that enabled readers to become equally familiar with all five characters. Each chapter was written in the first person, and alternated between the women. I enjoyed reading the history surrounding each character and about how their lives connected.

Reading The Reel Sisters was like wrapping myself in a cozy blanket; I wanted the warmth to last forever. The book repeatedly pulled on my heart-strings and made me laugh. The story was about friendship; it was about women building each other up rather than tearing each other down.

One of my favorite things about The Reel Sisters was the author’s ability to make me giggle. She created characters with a great sense of humor; they took great pleasure in playing tricks on one another and engaging in sarcastic banter. Between Melody’s indecent exposure and Veronica’s “socrifice” story, these women had me in stitches.

The Reel Sisters wasn’t all fun and games; the book covered some weighty topics such as the plight of being a military wife. Amanda’s husband, Mike, was stationed in Afghanistan for a year which meant that while he was away, she was a single mother with a full-time job. The author did an excellent job of conveying Amanda’s feelings of frustration and sadness. To the outside world, she appeared stoic, but she was screaming inside. The only contact she had with Mike was through Skype, which was bittersweet; she loved seeing his face, but it was a constant reminder that he wasn’t at home. Amanda described her inner turmoil as she ended a call with her husband. She said, “It’s pretty routine for me to shut my laptop after a Skype call and burst into tears. I stay as strong as I can while he can see me, but as soon as the laptop is shut, the flood of emotions comes surging out of my body.”

Overall I adored The Reel Sisters; the only thing I found irritating was trying to keep track of which character was narrating. I often found myself having to flip back to the beginning of the chapter to find out. With there being five main characters, I think the book would have been better if it was written in the third person.

The book was flawlessly written with no errors, and I chose to give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend The Reel Sisters to female readers who enjoy books about friendship. The book contains some fishing terminology, but it is not exhaustive. For readers that love fishing or want to acquire more knowledge about it, this book is for you!

I would not recommend The Reel Sisters to young readers as it does contain some profanity that is not suitable for younger audiences. I would also discourage readers who have recently lost a loved one from picking up this book as it may trigger extreme feelings of sadness.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I have read this one as well and tend to agree with your opinion. I thought it was a charming book that covered a lot of important topics as you mentioned. Excellent review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I like your imagery that reading The Reel Sisters was like being wrapped in a cozy blanket. I, too, gave it a high rating because I just felt like I melted into the story. Very nice review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I had reviewed the same book and I agree with you on most of the points. It is so beautiful and true that these girls build their relationship instead of tearing it down. Lovely review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth

Meg98 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 10:20 I have read this one as well and tend to agree with your opinion. I thought it was a charming book that covered a lot of important topics as you mentioned. Excellent review! Cheers:)
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Stephanie Elizabeth

djr6090 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 11:00 I like your imagery that reading The Reel Sisters was like being wrapped in a cozy blanket. I, too, gave it a high rating because I just felt like I melted into the story. Very nice review.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 11:34 I had reviewed the same book and I agree with you on most of the points. It is so beautiful and true that these girls build their relationship instead of tearing it down. Lovely review!
Thanks!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

First of all, I like how jovial your review sounds! It definitely holds the reader's attention.
Your perspective of the book is really interesting as well; you definitely got more out of it than I did. Great review.
P. S. The "socrifice" story had me in stitches too!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

The socrifice story was one of my favorite bits! I had to rate this one lower than you because I had some issues with formatting and such, but the friendship was lovely. Thanks for the review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Dentarthurdent wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 12:41 First of all, I like how jovial your review sounds! It definitely holds the reader's attention.
Your perspective of the book is really interesting as well; you definitely got more out of it than I did. Great review.
P. S. The "socrifice" story had me in stitches too!
Thank you for your kind words!
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

At some point i read the reel sisters and i must agree that it was fun to read. Not only that but also very emotional. Thanks for a lovely and informative review.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Oh! A cozy blanket, giggling, and a story about friendship - sounds like a winner. And I like fishing! I enjoyed your enchanting review. Lovely writing!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like the author did a great job of portraying diverse but authentic characters, as well as managing to cover heavy topics but keep the narrative light. I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like your metaphor of wrapping yourself in a cosy blanket when reading this book. I also loved reading and reviewing it!
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Wow, your review was wonderfully written, I have reviewed this book too that's why. The character development was really impressive and I was able to feel the power of the friendship they shared.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”