Review by supernatural143 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Review by supernatural143 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by supernatural143 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a campus Food Fair, a friendship was born, a "wilderness-foodie" adventure was shared, and Man Mission was founded. Following the agreed rules, four men's annual getaway in New Zealand, Japan, Australia, Spain, Thailand, Korea, Africa, Vietnam, Hawaii, Thailand, Peru, and Iceland included hiking, trekking, cycling, kayaking, sledding, paddle boarding, ice climbing, and aurora hunting. When they got married and established careers, they needed the approval of "The Wives Committee". Despite having a recipe for an ideal life in a "Relationship Playbook", challenges shook them. Through Man Mission, the friendship of these four men were strengthened, and they found redemption and fulfillment in work and life.

If not for the "other fiction" genre fixed in the review overview page and the note from the author, I would have thought this Man Mission is Eytan Uliel's own memoir that chronicles his and his friends' journey in random countries around the world. Eytan is a global traveler and a graduate of law who moves on to a career in investment firm - just like the unnamed first-person narrator of the story.

The story includes quotes, maps, fun-filled adventures, and a combination of humorous and emotional banters. All characters are realistic and not free from flaws. The narrator is straightforward and exudes good vibes. Backstories are neatly inserted. Fast-paced with no dull moment, these 378 pages can be read in one sitting. Despite the unexpected twists and turns, I am satisfied with the ending.

I haven't found anything unlikable in this book other than euthanasia - the narrator killed the dying rabbit. My favorite quote is imparted by Mr. Takeda on page 70: “Tell your wife you love her. Tell your parents you love them. Tell your sons and daughters you love them. Tell them every day you love them. It is the secret to a happy life.” Self-explanatory as it is, I can't agree more.

I spotted only a few minor errors - mostly involving wrong placement of commas and lack thereof. I saw the first mention of the swear word "f**k you" on page 37. This book has no erotic scenes but has mentions of unfaithfulness by having sex with a woman other than his wife. On a scale of zero to five, the erotic descriptions got one.

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel has gained a perfect 4 out of 4 stars from me. The presence of swear words and mentions of gory details and adult contents made me recommend this book to all adventure enthusiasts who are mature and robust. Readers who are bothered by the topics about sexism, euthanasia, and killing a live animal with bare hands may want to skip reading this book.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”